Jardini Arowana

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

syntax_error

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all!

Are any of the following good tank mates for this fish?
BKG
Clown knife fish
Reedfish
Bichir
Oscar

Also, how quickly do they grow? The ones at my LFS are around ~2; obviously no point in putting him in a 6'x2'x2 tank yet. So, how much is they're growth rate per year?

Thanks! :good:

Incredibly aggressive fish. Predatory. Usually kept alone. In a huge tank you might be okay with something like a large, non-aggressive plec, but otherwise keep alone or in big groups of its own kind.

The "growth per year" issue is largely a red herring. Arowanas are prone to physical damage (for example, gill curling) when kept in cramped conditions. Since the fish grows very quickly when kept properly (i.e., they are about 30 cm long by the end of the first year) there's absolutely no point at all setting up a small tank, say, 100 gallons, on the assumption you'll be able to upgrade in a few years. Buy the big tank now, let the fish enjoy optimal conditions, and rear it from a youngster alongside any tankmates you plan to keep with it for life.

Cheers, Neale

I see. Thanks a lot nmonks, I'll stay clear of getting one for now.

Hi i have just bought a golden jardini aro, the fish is about 14 cm, it is in a tank with silver dollars, ghost knife fish, clown loachs and tin foil barbs all the fish are smaller than the jardini, but what i was wondering is he opens and closes his mounth well swimming around, is it cause he is stressed or is it just something they do, forgive my lack of knowlege on the fish as i have only owened silver aros, and my silver aro only did that once he was very full.

Well, got my Jardini as a tiddler having JUST lost his egg sack and that was in... march/april and he has always been in with other fishes. He is now in 340Litres and in with a Sorubim Limia who is bigger and stays out of the way, a Nandus Nandus who again isnt in the way, HUGE spotted dora who is the worlds most boring fish and my odd catfish a Chrysicthys Ornatus and my unbelievably beligerant black angelfish named Lucifer.

All was going well for few months until Lucifer took to attacking yht poor Arro!! Took great delight in sneaking up right below the Arro when he was gliding up and down asleep and biting him hard and then dissapearing to hide behind the sorubim.

The arro is now 9-10" and Lucifer is looking very tatty (recovers overnight and gets his own back). I do have a 1500L 8x3x2.5 tank with a good old 12,000L pond filter on it but no hood yet!!!

Arro is now plain evil and draws blood whenever he can....

Well, got my Jardini as a tiddler having JUST lost his egg sack and that was in... march/april and he has always been in with other fishes. He is now in 340Litres and in with a Sorubim Limia who is bigger and stays out of the way, a Nandus Nandus who again isnt in the way, HUGE spotted dora who is the worlds most boring fish and my odd catfish a Chrysicthys Ornatus and my unbelievably beligerant black angelfish named Lucifer.

All was going well for few months until Lucifer took to attacking yht poor Arro!! Took great delight in sneaking up right below the Arro when he was gliding up and down asleep and biting him hard and then dissapearing to hide behind the sorubim.

The arro is now 9-10" and Lucifer is looking very tatty (recovers overnight and gets his own back). I do have a 1500L 8x3x2.5 tank with a good old 12,000L pond filter on it but no hood yet!!!

Arro is now plain evil and draws blood whenever he can....

Get an African if you can theyre nice and not as agressive although will cost you a fair few pennies!

Most reactions

Back