Jack dempseys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tracy83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi my jack dempseys went really dark and started mouth locking ,, and rubbing against each other ,, the Male was digging up the stones and all seemed to be going well ,, I came down this morning and the male has lightened up and female is hiding ( she has lightened up to) ,, but any time she comes out he chases her back into hiding is this Normal ?

I don’t have any experience with Jack Dempsey specifically but I do have a SA cichlid tank. The first part to me sounds like mating and setting up a nest site, but I’m not sure about the second part. Maybe @Wills can help

Is the female hiding in the same spot or where ever she can? Sounds like they have spawned or at least tried to. If she is hiding in the same spot you might have eggs or fry in there. If shes hiding in different places it might have failed and could need some time to calm down.

How big is the tank and do you have any other fish in there?

Wills

Is the female hiding in the same spot or where ever she can? Sounds like they have spawned or at least tried to. If she is hiding in the same spot you might have eggs or fry in there. If shes hiding in different places it might have failed and could need some time to calm down.

How big is the tank and do you have any other fish in there?

Wills
She is hiding in the same spot ,, he seems to be staying near by the hiding spot ,, moving around occasionally , if she comes out he chases her around the tank ,, then she goes back ,, ,, it's a 25 gallon tank ,, with just them 2 and a pleco who hides all day .

Does she seem to have any injuries? Also, not to be that person but a 25 gallon tank is pretty small for a breeding pair of Jack Dempsey I believe. I’d have at least a 40

No she does not seem to be injured ,, I am getting there with tank size ,, they are still only smallish 4-5 inch ,, I originally had them on a 10 gallon till I read up and seen this tank going free so will eventually upgrade x

Perfect as long as you’re upgrading that is good! I thought they were more full grown. I know when I had acaras spawning, they didn’t necessarily “chase” the other but they would make sure they’re both near the spawning area. Can I ask where the Male hangs out? I think that as long as there isn’t major fin ripping from nipping and any marks across the body it should be fine, but I have never had them before so don’t solely take my advice..

She is hiding in the same spot ,, he seems to be staying near by the hiding spot ,, moving around occasionally , if she comes out he chases her around the tank ,, then she goes back ,, ,, it's a 25 gallon tank ,, with just them 2 and a pleco who hides all day .

I would say you probably have eggs in there then. I agree with Stefan that a bigger tank is quite essential for these guys and the pleco. If you can get into a reasonable sized 4 foot tank that would be a good start but a male JD can hit 8-10 inches so as big as possible really.

Wills

I would say you probably have eggs in there then. I agree with Stefan that a bigger tank is quite essential for these guys and the pleco. If you can get into a reasonable sized 4 foot tank that would be a good start but a male JD can hit 8-10 inches so as big as possible really.

Wills
I havnt seen the female since yesterday morning ,, but the male is still sticking round her hiding spot ,, so u think she is ok , I dont want to start moving things around incase I upset them ,, what do u suggest plz x

So it’s been a few days now so she might have fry I would leave her for now - grim but you could always do ammonia test to check if there is anything a miss, as in if she has died your ammonia will be high

I have a seachem ammonia alert,, looks fine ,, bright yellow dot ,, she just appeared swam round for a while and gone back to hiding ,, he chased her a bit but no fighting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back