It's Not Easy Being Beautiful

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I did a complete makeover on the crab tank last night. I like to keep it different and change their wood out once in awhile. They'd all switched back into their old shells last week- except one, he changed right after Christmas.
*I bought Tuesday this crab shell "bling" kit that came with one shell, glitter glue, jewels, pom poms etc, so she made the most tacky shell ever and I kid you not the one crab who loves to dress up had it on within minutes. Oddly I never took a pic, I don't know why. He looked ridiculous but after a few days the others had picked the pom poms and jewels off so the hilarity is over anyway.

Aaanyhoo, I picked up a bunch of new shells for them the yesterday, which caused a reaction of switching and Mr.Glitter shell put his favorite long shell back on....after he tried on a few new ones right away. It was cool because we got to see him switch for the first time. I've never actually seen them do it before, they're just always different when I peek in. It was pretty neat to watch.

So tonight I go in to watch them (thats when I noticed he was sporting the old long shell again) and here are the crabby events that followed...
Everyone doing their own thing, two crabs chilling on the branches while the long shelled crab explores down below..
cw4.jpg

First time I've ever seen him try to climb with this thing on...(I didn't think he'd make it)
*By the way, for some reason when I make him talk in my head he sounds like Tobias from Arrested Developement :lol:

"Hello up there,gang, mind if I join you?" "If I can...just..get a grip...here"
cw01.jpg

"I'll be there in just a moment fellow crabs, be patient with me"
cw5.jpg

"Oh no, he's coming up.."
cw3.jpg

"Almost there guys...no trouble at all"
cw6.jpg

"Hello friends, I'm here, I have climbed the greatest climb of my life!"
cw7.jpg

"If I could just get ..by you...here...excuse me"
cw11.jpg

"My beautiful shell's not bothering you is it?"
cw12.jpg

"Wait, where are you going? It wasn't me, was it?"
cw14.jpg

"Excuse me...if I could just get by.."
cw17.jpg

"Excuse me...?"
cw16.jpg

He's such a weirdo, he does this sort of thing ALL the time, even when he's in a normal sized shell, he's always wanting to be in the spot where someone else is atm, it's too funny. I think I'm going to go get a couple more crabs....:look: I adore them!

They are amazing, beautiful creatures!

I had no idea there was a market for painted crab shells!

Ya know, I was browsing eBay last night for hermit crab stuff just cuz I was bored and there's QUITE the market for painted shells. Being a stay home mom I considered it for a minute, but meh. You could just buy blank shells, deco them up and... :hey:

:rofl:
I love your captions Wuv, too cute! Not to mention the adorable crabbies :wub: What kind are they all again?

One's an Ecuadorian that we picked up at the coast, the other two are purple clawed...claws?
Theres a store in the mall called Coach's Gifts, I just stumbled on it the other day and they had Ecuadorians, I think I'll get the new ones from there. I'm thinking two more :shifty:

Oh, man I want some hermit crabs. :sad:

They're awesome, looks like they have a nice and roomy tank.. far bigger than the "minimum 10 gallon tank", I read they need. What size tank are they in? They're on my 'must own' list, for the future. I'm going to set aside my 10 gallon for them, once I've traded up for my fish.

They're awesome, looks like they have a nice and roomy tank.. far bigger than the "minimum 10 gallon tank", I read they need. What size tank are they in? They're on my 'must own' list, for the future. I'm going to set aside my 10 gallon for them, once I've traded up for my fish.

I know you want some. I thought about ya the other day while I was at Petsmart and I noticed they had little one and two gallons for sale. The deluxe crabitat type home was a five gallon, I don't know why you couldn't keep a couple in there. As long as they have climbing up room, like mine do, that's their main concern, they're rarely on the ground, just to eat and occasionally burrow. Of course the bigger the better by all means.
At this weird shop in the mall they had some purple claws that were like the size of softballs, they weighed around 3 pounds :lol: So granted they DO grow, but we're talkin' years here..they live for up to and beyond ten years.
I said to my kid "Can you imagine if ours got that big?" and she replied "Oh,they will!" so I imagine even I'll have to upgrade someday!

Lucifer, We bought one at a gift shop on vacation where (*cough, Soritan) they were selling itty bitty kritter keepers for houses...no reason to feel a 5 is cruel) and the other two at Petsmart when we realized how lonely our one was.

they r really weird but cute looking, i have an electric blue lobster my self, and i think im gona have to have a couple of crabbies too ( seperate tanks obviously) lol :hey:

I know you want some. I thought about ya the other day while I was at Petsmart and I noticed they had little one and two gallons for sale. The deluxe crabitat type home was a five gallon, I don't know why you couldn't keep a couple in there. As long as they have climbing up room, like mine do, that's their main concern, they're rarely on the ground, just to eat and occasionally burrow. Of course the bigger the better by all means.
At this weird shop in the mall they had some purple claws that were like the size of softballs, they weighed around 3 pounds :lol: So granted they DO grow, but we're talkin' years here..they live for up to and beyond ten years.
I said to my kid "Can you imagine if ours got that big?" and she replied "Oh,they will!" so I imagine even I'll have to upgrade someday!

Lucifer, We bought one at a gift shop on vacation where (*cough, Soritan) they were selling itty bitty kritter keepers for houses...no reason to feel a 5 is cruel) and the other two at Petsmart when we realized how lonely our one was.

Hey, wow. I was thought of. :)

Well, during my reading-up on the crabs, just about every site declared that a 10 gallon is the minimum tank size to keep a hermit crab happy, and they all said that the little tubs they sell for crabs just doesn't do it. Reminded me of betta sites, actually.

Judging by what you say, an empty 10 gallon would be a less ideal home than a 5 gallon that has lots of climbing space?

... you know... I just got that vintage, 70s, 5 gallon. It barely fits on my desk. Ever since I upgraded my betta to his own 5 gallon, I've missed having something to poke at and interact with when I'm (avoiding) my work. Maybe, if two can actually be happy in a 5 gallon, I can get myself two on my next vacation? I'd buy them local, but honestly, waiting one or two months would probably save me quite a bit of money. Not only that, but waiting until I travel usually means I'm better prepared to actually own something new. I also have an empty 3.3 gallon "small world, pet pals" box. It's blue, which means I tend to use it for water changes, rather than for critters...

pee.gif

What a brilliant word!!!!

Ain't it, though? I had to say it aloud, when I first saw it. Just sort of rolls of the tongue. Makes you wonder why the word didn't exist already, outside hermit crab owners. :D

I think a 5 with climbing space is better than an empty 10 by all means. You could get away with it as long as you upgrade someday PLUS you'll be taking them out for excersize so..it evens out. They even sell itty bitty plastic balls, much like those for hamsters, if you want to let them run loose a bit.

I was thinking of what we'll eventually need to upgrade to- I have no idea atm but they're fine for a couple years I'm sure. I think a ten is the absolute minimum for a full grown adult.

What an awkward shell! I wonder what makes him choose that one over the others. Silly crab, indeed!

I miss my crabbies... They were quite amusing. Maybe I'll have some again someday. :)

I think a 5 with climbing space is better than an empty 10 by all means. You could get away with it as long as you upgrade someday PLUS you'll be taking them out for excersize so..it evens out. They even sell itty bitty plastic balls, much like those for hamsters, if you want to let them run loose a bit.

I was thinking of what we'll eventually need to upgrade to- I have no idea atm but they're fine for a couple years I'm sure. I think a ten is the absolute minimum for a full grown adult.

You're putting ideas into my head that my wallet cannot handle! :X

:lol:

I've heard of the hermit-crab-ball. They sound like about eight shades of 'awesome'. When I finally get hermit crabs, I'll definately invest in one of those. And make a little movie of them rolling around. :D I made a little movie of my ADFs swimming around, because all my online friends kept thinking of bullfrogs whenever I told them I had African Dwarf Frogs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back