"It's Just A Dog"

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score

“It’s Just A Dog” by Richard A. Biby​

From time to time people tell me “relax, it’s just a dog” or “it’s a lot of money just for a dog.” They don’t understand the distance traveled, the time invested or the costs incurred by “just a dog.” Some of my proudest moments happened with “just a dog.”

Many hours passed being my only company “just a dog”, but not for a single moment I felt despised. Some of my saddest moments were for “just a dog,” and on those gray days, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me the comfort and reason to spend the day.

If you also think “it’s just a dog,” then you’ll probably understand phrases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.” “Only a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust and pure and unbridled joy. “Only a dog” brings the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

For “just a dog,” I’m getting up early, going for long walks and looking forward to the future. So for me, and for people like me, it is not “just a dog,” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the memories of the past and the absolute joy of the moment. “Only a dog” brings good in me and diverts my thoughts away from me and the daily worries.

I hope one day you can understand that it’s not “just a dog”, but what gives me humanity and prevents me from being “just a human”. So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog,” you just smile because you “just don’t understand.”

For me this applies to all animals I've ever had - Fish, frogs, hamsters, Guinea pigs, rabbits, dogs, horses, the lot.

I think there's something very therapeutic about spending time with an animal in some capacity. Animals force you to be real, there's no faking it, especially with things like dogs and horses that have an uncanny ability to sense your mood.

Give me animals over people any day!

Most reactions

Back