It Grinds My Gears When Fish Shop People Know It All.

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
Ok so I was checking out this old fish store it's dated needs a major update it's like walking back in time. This is the same store that is trying to sell a $300 Nurse shark and keeps it in a 120Gal tank among other things.

Well I was looking around. I am fighting a mild case of ich in my tank because I did not quarantine. So I ask them what they use. She shows me this stuff. I said so it's copper. She says NO. I said well it says copper salt she shuts up She never read the bottle. The active ingredient is copper salt I am useing coppersafe at the moment witch is very similar. Copper safe uses chelated copper and is more stable then copper salt. Well She says its the best and will not kill your fish like the other stuff will. I was like ok. Then she goes on to tell me that I must keep my temp at 80F or higher at all times or I will get ich because ich lives in the gravel and at low temps comes out at night and attaches to your fish. And that in no way did the ich get in my tank due to the new fish I added. I was like OH MY GOD DID SHE JUST SAY THAT.

Really so according to her every kind of gravel has ich living in it. If you have cooler water your fish will get ich and it is no way transmitted by new fish being added. She said I grantee it was not the new fish that brought it to your tank. I did not even buy this fish from her but I bet she thought i did. I was like ok, tried to be nice said I have been doing lots of research on this and I disagree. She would not even listen to me at all. Because I'm just some dumb 27 year old girl that knows nothing. She is in her 60s, and her years of owning a fish shop make her all knowing EVEN THOE SHE NEVER HAS READ UP ON THE PARASITE LATELY. She did not even know what the active ingredient was in the treatment she was trying to sell me. This is the same lady that told me that you can never keep live rock with fish because they will eat it all and it will no longer be live rock. AHHH....

I had another person tell me that ich is always presant in a tank no matter what you do. You only see it when a fish becomes stressed. There is some truth to this but you can have an ich free tank to say it is always in the tank is wrong.

Maybe if i was a 60 year old man she would listen to me but because i'm a young women I know nothing. I was a little mad not going to lie. Anyone have any issues like this?



So how does ich get in your tank?
 
Not too familiar with ick, but it does live in your substrate, that is, if it gets in your tank in the first place.

When a fish is infected with ick, the parasite burrows itself into the skin of the fish. When this happens, the parasite is completely protected from any chemical/medicine that is in the tank. When the parasite is done feeding, or what ever it does there, it then travels back to the substrate. It takes, on average, three days for the parasite to travel from the fish to the substrate where the parasite reproduces. During the free swimming stage, the parasite is 100% vulnerable to medicine/chemicals in the water. So this is when the ick medicine is going to kill the parasite. The whole process; parasite from substrate to fish and then back to substrate takes about 14 days. So, when treating ick, you need to do so for two weeks, even if symptoms are completely gone, to ensure that the parasite is killed off.

That is all I know about it.

-FHM
 
I have limited experience with ich. I may have had it in my tank a total of three times( in the past like 12 years, since I started when I was 4 ). But, when it does creep up, I treat with CopperSafe. I also turn the temp up to 82( it makes the parasites life cycle go faster, as you cannot kill it while it's on the fish, it has to die off and make more larvae). I usually have the ich gone in 2-3 days. I haven't seen it in probably 2 years now.
 
I have seen ich occur pretty spontaneously (my friend's lone betta caught it after 8 months in a goldfish bowl!) so I'm not sure how it enters the tnak sometimes. I have always gotten it from introducing fish from a dirty LFS into my tank. I really don't understand how it seemingly pops out of nowhere because... well, it doesn't really make sense lol! I guess you would have to read an icthyology dissertation to find out! Cool water (cooler than what your fish requires) makes it more susceptible to ich but it can't 'create' ich.
 
But to say that the ich in my tank is not due to the new fish is just stupid. My tank had been ich free till this new fish came in. I know a lot about ich. Yes it does stay in the gravle then hatches and is free swimming and this is the only time it can be effected by treatment.

Ich is a parasite there for needs a host to live. Most parasites travel from host to host they don't just magicaly come into your tank or are always in the water. They can be dormante or be so few and in the gills that you don't know you have them. It can take up to a week or 2 for them to even show.

I was just mad at this lady for looking down on me or trying to make me feel like and idoit.
 
She just did not want to be told what was what! lol!

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top