Is This Velvet Or White Spot On Butterfly Fish Maybe?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

thats good there is a nitrate you need to keep that most times ammonia turns into nitrite turns into nitrate so keep the nitrate and dont let it get so high again just keep an eye on and what filters do you have on the tank and when was the last time you cleand it

Just about to change the filter floss, I didnt know it needed changing. Has been running 2/3 months now.

I bought Interpet Methylene Blue today from LFS on recomendation in store. I mixed 2ml with 10L tank water for a 7 minute dip with teh fish. He showed no signs of stress while in there and is swimming about fine an hour later in display tank.

His eye is huge today, and the other one is showing signs of bulging. I have diagnosed the fish with fin and gill flukes, with early tages of white spot and bulging eye. Poor guy.

Any help as to what I can do for the fish would be great. I will be giving him a medical dip once a day for a few days to see how it goes.

when you have that type of problem you can give it a fresh water dip all you need to do is grab a clean bucket fill it will cold tap water and stick the kettle on take the bucket next to the tank and pore the kettle in the bucket untill you think it is the same as your aquarium temp if you have buffer add alittle amount just so the ph isnt that low DONT ADD SALT the fresh water dip will kill of the flucks and white spot of the fish grab your phone set the stop watch on it catch the fish put it in the bucket for 3 minutes remember DO NOT ADD SALT it will freak out a bit but is normal for the fish to do that and once that time is up catch it strate away and put it right back into the tank

OK that sounds simple enough, so same temp as aquarium water, no salt, right?

Is this medicine I bought not any use then? Its a general treatment for flukes, paracites etc.

Cheers.

the treatment should be fine but because you have had the fish for soo long in the tank white spot starts from the gills so it has spread so i would do the fresh water dip yeh no salt and keep an eye on the time remember 3 minutes once every week untill it gose and keep an eye on your water parameters and get some more pics of the fish and tank up like to see it once you have done the dip tell me

The fishes bulging eye is really bad tonight, and the other eye is popping out also now. Can anything be done? The fish looks distressed.

Thanks for the advise on the fresh dips, will carry one out tomorrow and post pictures.

The treatment however, do I add that in with a freshwater dip? I used it tonight with a saltwater dip.

is the eye just cloudy or is there like a bubble kidda thing behind it

just use the tratment in the display tank never put treatment in with a fresh water dip and get me a pic of the poppy eye so i can help and btw i had the same problem with my bannerfish about 8 years ago

Bubble behind eye yes, fish is still eating fine, and I think the patches on his skin are healing after the medication dip yesterday. I was told specificly not to put the medication into display tank as it strips out all the oxygen and would kill the bio filter. He said the medication with salt water dip should be ran with an air stone, which I did. Picture below:

wimplefish1.jpg

wimplefish2.jpg

when that happened to me with my regal angelfish i got a pin and bursted the blubbled eyes you dont put the needle in the eye just at the top so the bubbles can get out then push the eye down and the air will escape simple just be careful

Ah man I couldnt do that!

I will get a picture this evening, his eyes have calmed down so much! They are litterally half the size they were yesterday. Wimple fish is swimming about more than ever today and eating just fine.

The fish still has white patches on its body, shall I wait a week to see how it goes and if they are still there, go for another freshwater dip?

Thanks for your help man.

its no problem just keep an eye on the fish and how did you find the fresh water dip and glad to hear about the the eyes

Fresh water dip was fine, the fish didnt move when I put it in and looked dead on the surface for 2 seconds at first! :crazy: but then he got used to it and didnt really move or do anything un-natural.

I will get this pic up asap.

Thanks again.

try and feed your whimple fish 3 times a day for the patches give it 2 diffrent types of frozen and 1 type of flake food that should help with your colour loss and patches

do you have a protine skimmer

Yes I have a good one, a V2 400 skimmer.

OK, I currently feed brine shrimp (frozen) and sea veggies. I will pick up some mysis.

Just to add, his eyes are bulging out again. Any ideas?

Thanks, Alex.

hi alex

your going to have to burst the eyes and i will have to talk you throw it but your fish will die if you dont have this done

Most reactions

Back