Is This True Or Not?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
-It seems every time I walk in the room where my fish tank is, either with the light in the room on, or if it is during the day, my fish can see me a lot better and hide almost immediately.

VS.​

-When the light in my room is off, or when it is night, my fish seem like they don't even see me. I can run my finger right up to the tank and they will not even move.

(The light in the hood was on at all times during this little experiment...lol)

Any thoughts? Can my fish not see out of the tank as good when the room is dark?

If so...this would be a nice time to take some close up pictures of the fish! :ninja: :shifty:

Thanks!
-FHM
 
Hi, fatheadminnow,

I believe that when the light is on in the tank, they see reflections of the tank interior in the glass, whereas when the light outside is greater than within, they can see out.
And I believe I recall various people stating that photography is ideally done on tanks from an angle and when the only major light source is within the tank, as it reduces reflections from the outside of the glass otherwise potentially blurring tank photos.
But these aren't religious beliefs, lol, so hopefully someone with more expertise in this area will soon show.
 
Hi, fatheadminnow,

I believe that when the light is on in the tank, they see reflections of the tank interior in the glass, whereas when the light outside is greater than within, they can see out.
And I believe I recall various people stating that photography is ideally done on tanks from an angle and when the only major light source is within the tank, as it reduces reflections from the outside of the glass otherwise potentially blurring tank photos.
But these aren't religious beliefs, lol, so hopefully someone with more expertise in this area will soon show.
That makes sense.

Thanks for the reply!
-FHM
 
This is purely conjecture but my thought would be along the lines of looking from outside a house in though a window. If the light in the house is on, you can see in much better than if it's off. So when you walk into the room with the lights off, you obviously aren't nearly as visible to the fish as when the light in the room is on.

Also, when you look into your tank when the lights are off, what do you see? To a certain extent, you see your reflection in the glass. So when the light in the room is off, they most likely see more of their own reflections in the glass than out into the room. Once again, purely my "theory" with no scientific evidence to back it up.

EDIT: I guess Syphoniera beat me to that "theory" while I was typing.
 
LOL :shout:
Now I know when to take nice close-up pictures of my fish!

Thanks for the replies guys!
-FHM
 
when the lights are on you can't see out the window at night can you. :)

Awww. I was beaten.
I just checked out your planted video...very impressive!

What is that snake looking thing called?

-FHM
 
when the lights are on you can't see out the window at night can you. :)

Awww. I was beaten.
I just checked out your planted video...very impressive!

What is that snake looking thing called?

-FHM
He's a rubber eel/ caecilian, a type of amphibian.

And you are correct, the best time to take pics is when the tank light is on and the room is dark. Even if the fish are not shy, this gets rid of the glare from room lights on the glass. Also turn flash off.

I only take pics and video when the room is dark.
 
Mikaila has the coolest fish!
And I now severely lust after a herd of Dwarf Chain Loaches after seeing hers...
Beware of her fish pics and videos - you could be doomed - take warning, if it's not already too late.

Edit: although I must say the rubber eel looks exactly like a sock puppet - extra cool!
 
Edit: although I must say the rubber eel looks exactly like a sock puppet - extra cool!

Thats what I thought it was at first...until I watched it a couple more times...lol. :shout:

Very cool though!

-FHM
 
My tetras seem to hate the room light on, actually they hate the aquarium light as well :lol:
They definatley seem alot calmer with the lights off though!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top