Is this safe to feed my tropical fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquamom1379

Reaction score
I have a container of All Living Things Food Medley for hermit crabs. It's a small pellet with dried shrimp and mealworms. I know the fish can eat the shrimp and mealworms, but I don't quite know what's in the pellets. Anybody know and would it be okay to feed to the fish? The fish I have are tetras, barbs, silver dollars, an oscar and synspilum chiclid, a featherfin catfish, and plecos.

According to the following website, it has a few things in it (ingredients listed below are copied from the website).
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/food/all-living-things-hermit-crab-medley-food-5195215.html

Ingredients:
Dried Shrimp, Dried Mealworms, Fish Meal, Ground Corn, Squid Meal, Dried Whole Egg, Krill Meal, Soybean Oil, Shrimp Meal, Yeast Extract, Artificial Flavors, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherol, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (stabilized source of Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Canthaxathin, Inositol

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (not less than) 43.0%
Crude Fat (not less than) 8.75%
Crude Fiber (not more than) 3.2%
Moisture (not more than) 6.0%

---------------------------
Fish don't digest grains well so corn is not really suited. Rice and wheat flour are often used as binders in normal fish flakes and pellets, and fish don't digest them either.

I'm not sure if rosemary is good for fish unless you are cooking them.

There's a lot of other stuff in there that probably aren't necessary or suitable for fish. There's more stuff in there than in my vitamin mineral supplement :)

I would suggest leaving it for the hermit crabs and just get a small container of tropical fish flakes for your tetras and barbs.

Use goldfish food or vegetable flakes/ pellets for the silver dollars. Feed them fresh fruit and veges too, or grow Duckweed in a pond or spare tank and add that to the silver dollar tank so they have it at all times.

Use algae wafers for the plecos. Make sure they have driftwood at all times to graze on, it helps their digestion. Increase the lighting times on the tank to encourage algae for the plecos to graze on. You can have a container of water outside in the sun. Put some flat pieces of rock or plastic ornaments in the container and add a level tablespoon of liquid garden plant fertiliser for every 20 litres of water. The water will turn into green soup and algae will grow on the ornaments/ rocks in the water. You can put these rocks in the tank for the plecos to feed on. When the rock has no algae left, swap it for another one in the tub outside.

Use a cichlid pellet for the Oscar and Synspilum.

Most pet shops sell frozen marine mix, brineshrimp and bloodworms, and these can be used for all the fish.

If the cichlids are big, then buy a packet of prawn, white bait and blue sardines from a fishing shop (they sell them as bait). Keep them frozen and defrost some each day to feed to the fish. Remove the shell, head and gut (thin black tube) from prawn/ shrimp and throw these bits in the bin, then feed the remaining prawn tail to the fish.

Thank you for the information and advice. I have a oscar that is 10 years old and 12 inches, and just recently got the synspilum. The filament barbs and silver dollars are Oscar tankmates. the Plecos have algae because the tank gets some direct sunlight in the morning.
The tetras are in a different tank. I have several tanks and I feed ultra color tropical flakes and ultra color pellets from kensfish.com mixed together to cover all the different fish. I just had this unopened can of hermit food given to me from a friend that recently lost her hermits, but I wanted to confirm if fish could eat it before using. I had a very hard time finding the ingredients of the pellet. It will be discarded.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back