- a few guppies
- one to three zebra danios
- a small group of white cloud moutain minnows
- terrapins

Fishes suitable for neon tetras...
-other South American tetras
- bottom-dwellers, ie. corydoras and apisdoras
- Brachydanios sp.
- lampeyes, blah blah blah as long as the companion fishes are also small in size and are very gentle
However, I believe that the 4 neon tetras in your 1-gallon tank is already enough. More than that will be overcrowding.

I got this off some website... Is this info right? :thumbs: Because I don't think you can put zebra danios, guppies or a terrapin in a 1 gallon...

Cheers,

definatley not zebra danios they need at least a 24" tank because of their speed and you need 5min for company.
mountain minnows need to be in groups of 5 or more so no on them
no on the terrapin they grow big
actually I think of your list only the betta will be suitable in a 1 gal

the bottom part
fine but not in a 1 gal
what you mean by brachydanio sp. ? :dunno:
and lampeyes? lampeye panchax or what?

danio2004 said:
definatley not zebra danios they need at least a 24" tank because of their speed and you need 5min for company.
mountain minnows need to be in groups of 5 or more so no on them
no on the terrapin they grow big
actually I think of your list only the betta will be suitable in a 1 gal

the bottom part
fine but not in a 1 gal
what you mean by brachydanio sp. ? :dunno:
and lampeyes? lampeye panchax or what?
Not my list... This guy's list...

http://www.aquaticrealm.com/index.php?pg=f...osting&tid=1663

hey

i agree with what hte others have siad, most like the betta and maybe a snail or ghost shirmps will work in the 1G...1G is very very small for a fishtank, ufnournately you can't put a lot of fish in there :(

I'm going to steal you thread a little since it seems to have been answered. We got a betta in a 1g. Can we put a male guppy in there to and not cause overcrowding?

heya,

no one male guppy won't work in your betta tank becasue the male's fancy tail would most likely be seen as a competition towards the male betta. And plus, since it's only a one gallon, the male would probably kill it.

Besides, guppies need aeration, so unless you got an airstone or air pump in there, they wouldn't live very long anywyas :) :thumbs:

No to all IMO...

Betta - need more room than that IMO, large fins and fairly large fish
Gourmai - no chance
Fry - need very clean, stable water. Not likely in a 'tank' that small
Few guppies - lol, joking right?! All fish need room to swim!
Danios - zippy little fish, like to swim. Like most small shoaling fish, need room.
WCM - see above
Terrapin - No way!!

Water parameters are all important with all fish. Tanks that small would be hard to heat, never mind filter. Fish and anials need space to swim and live, a 1 gallon offer none of these things.

Hell, I'm not sure I would even put water in there!! :lol:

We actually have an UGF w/ airstone. I don't think I'll throw a guppy in there if it's gonna be a prob.

Edit: Have you even seen these tanks? There's tons of room. All I have to do is find a heater small enough, under 6" should do, and I'm all set

Just remember a lot of these people are fish nuts so they are trying to look out for the best intrest in the fish. Its kind of like keeping a german shepard in a 5 foot crate, you can do it but dog freaks want it to have 5 acres of running room at least. In my opinion a pair of guppies or a couple neons would be fine. My brothers 1 gallon has had one power dwarf gourami in it for 3 years and its still kicking so best of luck and keep up on water changes.

I agree with the overzealous, sometimes people go a wee bit nuts. I can't imagine a turtle in one of those though, and we have a 1g. It has a betta in it, and he's perky and happy looking little guy. As to fry, I've had to have two females in a the 1g (before the betta) and they were fine, then I took them out and the fry were in there for a bit, they were fine (at least till I moved them to the other tank, then they all went belly up).

Well I'm looking for a couple of ADFs to put in my 1 gallon actually. There's a thread in the Amphibians forum about that already. The thing is I was looking around for other fishes to put in my 1 gallon because I'm having a hard time finding a ADF, what more a pair of them. I decided I just have to place an order w/ the LFS and that will take some time.

Anyways, when I first decided to get something for my 1 gallon, I came across that website... Would have got a few guppies or tetras but after joining this forum and reading up I realised that the ADFs were the best idea.

So the main thing is that I got from this thread is that I can put in a couple of guppies/neon tetras or even a betta in the tank, it's just a question of it having enough space. Am I right?

Anyways, I've no inclination to get any fishes for my 1 gallon, because I find that the AFDs are more interesting. IMO. And bettas and guppies are fairly common, but frogs... You don't see many people with frogs, do you?

Cheers,

Most reactions

Back