Is This Normal For A Young Gourami To Look?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
I got an female opaline gourami a few days back, and, well, the spinal curvature seems a little strange in comparison to the images online.

A majority of the young gouramis in the LFS had a similar look to them, so I thought it was normal, but the fact that I can't find a single picture online of a gourami with similar looks has been bothering me.

here's a picture. It's the best one I could get, as she's an active little one.

gourami.jpg

She's 2 inches long, at most.

Also, One of her pelvic fins is only half there, likely from the LFS stocking all the young ones with two very large aggressive males. Is that gonna grow back? And if it won't, will it cause her any big disability in the future?

Any info is appreciated, thanks much

Keep a eye on him bent spine suggests TB.

It's definitely not TB. A lot of gouramis get inbred so much they start getting the off spine. That's what I'm trying to figure out, if she's got an off spine or if she's just young and doesn't have the adult gourami features yet.

Keep a eye on him bent spine suggests TB.

It's definitely not TB. A lot of gouramis get inbred so much they start getting the off spine. That's what I'm trying to figure out, if she's got an off spine or if she's just young and doesn't have the adult gourami features yet.

agreed its not tb there would also be more signs this fish is more then likely deformed sorry to say

dnt worry about fish tb it doesnt normaly affect freaswater its a 1 in 10 000 charnce i had a scare of fish tb so i reasurched it and reasurched it its a very rare disease in freash water aquariums

its a little more common in salt water tanks but freash water i wouldnt give it a seconed thought :)

I got an female opaline gourami a few days back, and, well, the spinal curvature seems a little strange in comparison to the images online.

A majority of the young gouramis in the LFS had a similar look to them, so I thought it was normal, but the fact that I can't find a single picture online of a gourami with similar looks has been bothering me.

gourami.jpg

Also, One of her pelvic fins is only half there, likely from the LFS stocking all the young ones with two very large aggressive males. Is that gonna grow back? And if it won't, will it cause her any big disability in the future?

also your fish is active and eating not loosing alot of weight suddenly over a couple of days?

sorse, bent spine, weight loss fleshy look on skin, not active/ lathargic these are the mosnt common symptoms if you have more of these symptoms then i would get a few tests done but if its only the bent spine like you have sed and that we can see then dude your ll be fine :good:

I know she's not sick. Definitely not with TB. And she eats fine, no sours, swims fine, no nothing. No laying on the bottom of the tank, no bizarre fecal matter, no weight loss, no scratching against tank decorations or sand, no parasites, no TB, no dropy, nothing. I know she's not sick.

Her spine really isn't even all too strange, what I'm looking at is the almost hump like feature just behind her head in the picture, followed by the rest of the spine being flat, rather than the pictures online having a full gradual curve. What I'm trying to figure out is if that's a deformity or if it's normal for a gourami that's only about 2 inches long.

Yeh more then likely a deform as she reaches full size it may straighten if not then she may look like that for her life no biggy realy

gourami.jpg

Hey, nice Opaline Gourami you have there. She looks like a female & almost exactly the same "face/head shape" as my Opaline and one of my Gold's. They both have very dolphin like heads while my very aggressive male has a much meaner & totally differently shaped head, back, and overall body shape. I believe the other Gold & the Opaline are females & actually that's what I wanted since I already had an overly aggressive male tiger stripped Gold. The male is about 2.5 or 2.75 inches long while the other ones are about 2.25 inches long. Their bodies aren't as tall from a side profile either. I'm not sure if it's due to the male being more matured or if that's a variation in the species or something. It could just be that males and females get a particular shapes..........

Take good care of her, she deserves it :good:

Oh, I'll try to post pictures to show you what I mean..............keep in mind that my cell phone shots suck but it's better than nothing.

Here she is, my female(I think) Opaline Gouarmi:

aquar3.jpg

Yeh more then likely a deform as she reaches full size it may straighten if not then she may look like that for her life no biggy realy

Shes not deformed, she's special !!

I have a Gold & a Blue with the same shaped head and it's not a deformity. Many of the pictures you'd see online are of males because they're more striking in appearance. Most of the local pet stores only carry males because of that reason. It may just be a trait that's female.

Here's a typical online pic of an Opaline Gourami male:

Shari_opaline.jpg

Here's a random pic of a female Opaline Gourami:

Shari_opaline_female.jpg

gourami.jpg

Hey, nice Opaline Gourami you have there. She looks like a female & almost exactly the same "face/head shape" as my Opaline and one of my Gold's. They both have very dolphin like heads while my very aggressive male has a much meaner & totally differently shaped head, back, and overall body shape. I believe the other Gold & the Opaline are females & actually that's what I wanted since I already had an overly aggressive male tiger stripped Gold. The male is about 2.5 or 2.75 inches long while the other ones are about 2.25 inches long. Their bodies aren't as tall from a side profile either. I'm not sure if it's due to the male being more matured or if that's a variation in the species or something. It could just be that males and females get a particular shapes..........

Take good care of her, she deserves it :good:

Oh, I'll try to post pictures to show you what I mean..............keep in mind that my cell phone shots suck but it's better than nothing.
Yeah, I've already fallen in love with her, I was just a little worried that I'd lose her early like I have with gouramis I've bought in the past due to diseases they get in the pet store :-(

Here she is, my female(I think) Opaline Gouarmi:

aquar3.jpg

Oh, that's a beautiful one <3 It'd be easier to tell its gender if I could see the dorsal fin better, the males have long pointy ones rather than shorter rounded ones.

I have a Gold & a Blue with the same shaped head and it's not a deformity. Many of the pictures you'd see online are of males because they're more striking in appearance. Most of the local pet stores only carry males because of that reason. It may just be a trait that's female.

Shari_opaline.jpg

Shari_opaline_female.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how many fish I've lost early because they're "special"

I can't see those pictures unfortunately, but it's nice to know she'll stay healthy.

Shari_opaline.jpg

Shari_opaline_female.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how many fish I've lost early because they're "special"

I can't see those pictures unfortunately, but it's nice to know she'll stay healthy.

I'm not sure why you can't see the pics but let me a sure you, that femaale Opaline looks typical as far as I'm concerned.

I love speciel fish lol im going to get a blind fish today lol :p

Mr. Funny over here...............

It was kind of funny but I think the fish is a typical female Gourami and the reason the original poster hasn't seen many that look like her is because the internet mostly has pictures of males since they're more dramatically colored & shaped, generally speaking.

The funny part is I thought my 2 new Gouramis were weird looking also until I found pictures of females on the web.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back