Is This Illegal To Sell

xmurdererx

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
leeds
well one of my lfs which is huge sells rare turtles that are endangered and are selling baby alligators and real sharks and once got caught by police but still do it
 
id love a baby alligater

surely it must be illegal
 
Are you sure they are not selling 'Curvier's Dwarf Cayman' 'Paleosuchus palpebrosus' which are the smallest 'Crocodilian' species that you can find reaching only 5ft a opposed to some of their relatives which have been known to reach over 6m. Also using the term shark is very vague as I can go into my lfs and find a 'Red Tail Black Shark' 'Bala Shark' 'Rainbow Shark' to name a few. And regarding the rare endangered turtle, are you sure they are not just pulling the wool over your eyes here? I'm sure it's hard enough for a zoo to obtain rare endangered species never mind Dodgy Steve's Long Life Happy Fish Store.

I've looked around and you can keep 'Crocodilian' species providing you obtain the right permits.

Just out of curiosity, what is your lfs?
 
Are you sure they are not selling 'Curvier's Dwarf Cayman' 'Paleosuchus palpebrosus' which are the smallest 'Crocodilian' species that you can find reaching only 5ft a opposed to some of their relatives which have been known to reach over 6m. Also using the term shark is very vague as I can go into my lfs and find a 'Red Tail Black Shark' 'Bala Shark' 'Rainbow Shark' to name a few. And regarding the rare endangered turtle, are you sure they are not just pulling the wool over your eyes here? I'm sure it's hard enough for a zoo to obtain rare endangered species never mind Dodgy Steve's Long Life Happy Fish Store.

I've looked around and you can keep 'Crocodilian' species providing you obtain the right permits.

Just out of curiosity, what is your lfs?

Lol very true, although your going to need one big ass heated indoor pond for a 5 foot croc :lol: I know of baby alligators being sold in the US but first Ive heard of them over here. Maybe take some pictures next time your in. Ill see what I can find regarding legality of crocs in the UK. Im assuming you need some kind of permit. If their selling these crocs to just anyone then perhaps think about contacting the RSPCA and see what they say.
 
Yeah crocs are legal you just need to have the permits, basically these are to make sure it is in a proper environment, a secure environment and they you are able to demonstrate that you can take care of these animals. It's not the same as going buying a bag of Neons :)
 
And baby crocs don't stay baby crocs...

And thats the most worrying thing about a LFS selling them :unsure:

Like I said your going to need a huge indoor heated pond to keep even small crocs. Cant keep them in your standard 3 footer :lol:
 
A member of my local aquarium society had a baby camen a long time ago. Only had it a month and it grew a foot :crazy:. So yeah what kinda shark, turtles, and crocs are they selling?

I haven't seen a camen up here in the twin cities, but I'm guessing if I look I could find one. There are tons of specialized exotic pet stores up here. One of the fish stores sells turtles(painted, red eared, and snapping) they also have a HUGE mata mata turtle thats not for sale. Another fish store carries sharks, normally just bamboo and other harmless dwarf sharks. I wouldn't be surprised if they could get more advanced types of sharks. The owner runs a separate fish import company, I've been told. Its just not something most stores will carry because the size and cost issues for an animal like that. Its also not something that most people can keep.
 
I'd imagine in some stores like that, if the owner enjoys keeping that sort of animal then with owning a fish store, if they have the space I don't see why not, it's quite a selling point. I'd imagine more people visit the store since he bought it, and most people who travel all the way to a fish store don't leave empty handed. Businessman, hustler or aquatic fanatic? :D
 
I've seen alligator snapping turtles in shops, and have spoken to customers who keep them, plus where I work sells Nile monitors and leopard tortoises, so I don't find Dwarf Caiman very surprising, being in the alligator family the shop may call them that on the name tag.

"Real sharks" could just mean bamboo sharks, though there are a few other species people sometimes keep, it's not a huge deal.

Sounds like a cool lfs though, what do you mean by "caught by the police" and how do you know?
 
there are caimans in a shop near me but they are not for sale but for breeding and trying to secure the population are you sure it wasnt something like them?
 
And baby crocs don't stay baby crocs...
And thats the most worrying thing about a LFS selling them :unsure:
Like I said your going to need a huge indoor heated pond to keep even small crocs. Cant keep them in your standard 3 footer :lol:
Not exactly the same thing, but I kinda learnt the hard way. I had an little iguana when I was 14 and the pet shop didn't check that I knew anything at all, or even if I had somehwere to keep her. 2 years later it wasn't such a little iguana anymore and I had to rehome her as I simply didn't have the space to keep her.
 
go back and get some pics and post them up, i'll see if my misses will let me have one of each( she kicks off every time i think off gettin somethin new)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top