Hi everyone,
I'm about to start cycling a 200L (53G) tank. I'm new to fishkeeping, so I need to spend the time it takes to cycle deciding which fish to keep. I plan on this being a planted tank and I'll have eco-complete as a substrate. I have a list of some fish I'd like to add, and I'm hoping for some advice on which of these will work best for me in terms of my tank, compatability with each other, and preventing as much unwanted breeding as possible.
Harlequin Rasbora
Black Widow Tetra
Pentazona Barb
Black Ruby Barb
Neon Tetra
Black Molly
Red Wag Platy
Black Phantom Tetra
Cockatoo Cichlid
Oviously I won't be adding all of those. It's just my first list of potentials. Which I'm hoping to refine or add to with some expert advice
But from that above list, is there anything that wouldn't go with anything else? I really like the red wag platy and the black molly, but both can breed a lot, right? Will a tank like this keep it under control? I'd also like some recommendations for small catfish that would work with this kind of community tank...
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
I'm about to start cycling a 200L (53G) tank. I'm new to fishkeeping, so I need to spend the time it takes to cycle deciding which fish to keep. I plan on this being a planted tank and I'll have eco-complete as a substrate. I have a list of some fish I'd like to add, and I'm hoping for some advice on which of these will work best for me in terms of my tank, compatability with each other, and preventing as much unwanted breeding as possible.
Harlequin Rasbora
Black Widow Tetra
Pentazona Barb
Black Ruby Barb
Neon Tetra
Black Molly
Red Wag Platy
Black Phantom Tetra
Cockatoo Cichlid
Oviously I won't be adding all of those. It's just my first list of potentials. Which I'm hoping to refine or add to with some expert advice
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
, the mollies and platys will breed like mad but, depending how heavily planted your tank is, most the fry will get eaten, of coarse if your going for a heavily planted tank then most the fry will survive otherwise the barbs, platys, mollies and apisto's will polish them off no problem, most catfish are very peacful and easygoing and you have a huge choice from the ancistrus sp. just beware that they are messy little buggers. Look into ADA aqua soil as a substrate, i hacve used both that and eco complete and ADA is nuch much better although if you do opt for that keep in mind that it has small amounts of ammonia in it so you won't be able to keep fish in there for 3 weeks.






