is this an emergency?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

totalbolshevik

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My fish have did not eat anything yesterday. I have been feeding them frozen brine shrimp at night, and Omega brand fish flakes at night. I have also been putting Melafix in the water for fungus. One of my fish died this mornig. I took some water to the fish store to get it tested. They said that the ph was very low (6.0). I went home, changed some water, and tested it again. It was a little better (6.4). Then I went back and asked if there was anything else I could do to correct the ph. They told me to clean the gravel. So I got a gravel siphon, and started cleaning the gravel. It was filthy. Pretty soon, the entire tank was cloudy with the stuff in the gravel. I tested the ph again, and as I expected, it had gone back to 6.0. What should I do to correct this? Would it be easier to just buy a new tank? The tank is 50 gallons, the nitrite and ammonia levels are both at 0, I have several Congo tetras, 2 corys, 2 mollies, a kuhlii loach, a black tetra, and several other tetras and small fish that I can't find in the book.

Hi Total

Firstly a pH of 6 is not that low. Most tetras can handle much lower values than that.

Do you know the KH and GH of your water, and the pH of your replacement water?

If you have soft water then it is always a struggle to keep the pH up. I have water that has GH and KH of less than 1 (well my test kits never pick up any readings), and I have to add Bi-carbonate of soda to keep the pH above 6 on a bi-daily bases. I have had the pH in my 1000 UK gall system drop to 4 with no significant problems (all my fish are from acidic waters by origin).

I would concentrate on getting the gravel clean. Do small cleans, rather than one large one. If you want to raise the pH, add some bi-carb or some calcium to the system. When adding bi-card do it slowly, add a small amounts. Allow it to mix thoroughly and recheck the pH, )I use one tablespoon full per 1000 UK gals to raise the pH from 6 to 6.4, (measured with a electronic pH probe).

HTH.

Dolphin
iru.gif

what is the ph comming out of your tap water? my ph stays at 6.4 to 7.0 all the time my fish seem to do fine I have done a lot of reading that frozen brine shrimp they can give your fish internal parasites which I think is true because my fish has them and that is the only thing that I have done any different so it has to be what caused them to get it. Just try feeding them that once a week.

True, low pH may not be a problem...but crashing pH is something that sh. be fixed.
Pretty sure anything under 5.5 is considered dangerous, can lead to acidosis.

My KH is vrtually nil as well.
I use crushed coral in a mesh bag in the filter.
pH is a constant 7.0....

if your tap water ph is at 7.4, then i would take req2k2's advice and use the crushed coral to stabilize the ph.

if you have to raise your natural ph, then i would use dolphin's advice.

semper fi

You can also use products like pH up. Just use them carefully, since pH should never be changed more than 0.4 units per 24 hours.

What do people think of these products? I generally have to use it after setting up a tank (our pH comes out at 8.5 or 9!). It's difficult to get ANY change at first, but after many days (and applications), the pH starts to fall then is relatively easy to maintain. I suppose that I have some sort of buffer than needed to be exhausted, but it is a bit strange.

The same should apply in reverse for your problem. Just remember to recheck pH occasionally, and especially with any water changes.

I have also been putting Melafix in the water for fungus.
If there fungus in some fish, remove fish into another tank and medicate there. If you always medicate whole tank, healthy fishes always suffer medicine. Every medicines are poison for fishes. You only medicate whole tank, if there is a disease that can be transmitted from fish to fish like ick (ichthyophthirius multifiliis).

They said that the ph was very low (6.0). I went home, changed some water, and tested it again. It was a little better (6.4). Then I went back and asked if there was anything else I could do to correct the ph. They told me to clean the gravel.

What about KH? Sounds like KH value is too slow for "buffering" pH. Add baking soda, yes baking soda (NaHCO3) into water. It increase KH and pH. But be carefully, add only ½ teaspoon / 100 liter water first and always check your pH before adding more. Wait 30 minutes before putting another teaspoon.

have several Congo tetras, 2 corys, 2 mollies, a kuhlii loach, a black tetra, and several other tetras and small fish that I can't find in the book.
Mollies will suffer in this water. They need basic/hard water, sometimes even salt too. Water values, like pH it's good for your other fishes. Corydoras is shoal fish, so buy at least 8 them more. Get rid of mollies, because water values are wrong for it. for kuhlii loach (Pangio sp.?) you can buy couple friends too. Black tetra is also shoal fish, buy more for it, but remember if you ever buy any long tail fishes, black tetra could be problem - it has tend to nag long tails.

What are those several others tetras?

wherryj:
What do people think of these products?

Why have to pay alot when doing same cheaply with baking soda? :lol: (Baking soda, NaHCO3, natriumbicarbonate/sodiumbikarbonate = natriymhydrocarbonate/sodiumhydrocarbonate) Americans like to call natrium to sodium. What about english, do you call Na = sodium?

I'd be hesitant to use baking soda unless I KNOW that it is pure enough. Few baking products are pure enough for use in aquaria (ie: table salt-shouldn't be used in aquaria).

The issue with filtering through pete, etc., just seems to add in the chance to overcorrect? Will these other products continue to lower/raise pH for an indefinite amount of time? After all, you could essentially be adding a slowly reacting acid or base...

I don't find the pH up or down to be that expensive given the potential risks of baking soda, at least until it's verified safe for use.

I'd be hesitant to use baking soda unless I KNOW that it is pure enough. Few baking products are pure enough for use in aquaria

Baking soda is same thing as NaHCO3. If you know products that maybe contain something else or aren't pure enough, please tell us, so others know that they don't buy those products. Then it is probably best not to buy those same products too when cooking, if they aren't pure enough.

[It's important to know that soda and baking soda isn't same product, baking soda = NaHCO3 and soda Na2CO3. Don't put soda into your tank.]

Hi all

MrV is spot on. Baking soda is safe to add to fish tanks. I use it in my system, in which I breed discus. If it was going to be detremental to any fish's health. then breeding discus would be one of the first fish to show it. I buy my baking soda form my local supermarket. It is for cooking, and thus classed as food safe. Products that are classed as food safe, and are a single chemical (NaHCO3), are tighter controled than fish products, (I work in the food industry, and know how tight the regulations are, they are a pain), thus there will not be any contamination.

Dolphin

Most reactions

Back