Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have this 4 gal
2E7D4136-35B0-406A-8080-77522C1F268A.jpeg
is it good for shrimps plants I have java moss rotala red wisteria ambulia and Java fern. I’m gong to get some suwasatang and can I float the ambulia to and plant some in my 33 gal

If your plants are growing well it should be fine for neocaridina shrimp. It looks very nice.

If your plants are growing well it should be fine for neocaridina shrimp. It looks very nice.
Do I need ciremic holes for shrimp to reproduce in because I have acouple of spare ones i can just throw in the tank for them.

They don't need anything more than is already there.

Shrimps have a hard outer skin (an exoskeleton) and they have to shed this to grow. While a new exoskeleton is hardening they are very vulnerable to being eaten so they hide until the new skin is hard. They don't know there won't be anything in the tank that will eat them and all those plants will make a good hiding place.

Cherry shrimps don't need anything to breed in. The female releases a hormone into the water when she's ready to lay eggs, the males go whizzing around to find her, they mate and the female carries the eggs under her abdomen until they are ready to hatch.
Be careful with water changes. The newly hatched shrimps are tiny and easily sucked up. Check all the old water carefully before throwing it away. My record is about 30 baby shrimps in the old water bucket during one water change.

They don't need anything more than is already there.

Shrimps have a hard outer skin (an exoskeleton) and they have to shed this to grow. While a new exoskeleton is hardening they are very vulnerable to being eaten so they hide until the new skin is hard. They don't know there won't be anything in the tank that will eat them and all those plants will make a good hiding place.

Cherry shrimps don't need anything to breed in. The female releases a hormone into the water when she's ready to lay eggs, the males go whizzing around to find her, they mate and the female carries the eggs under her abdomen until they are ready to hatch.
Be careful with water changes. The newly hatched shrimps are tiny and easily sucked up. Check all the old water carefully before throwing it away. My record is about 30 baby shrimps in the old water bucket during one water change.
Yeah the shrimp are in ther and I’ll just let them do ther thing now and let the plants grow out and I might put some moss in I have hero’s of java moss

Didn't you have a Betta in it? lf you do, it might not be too nice with the shrimp. . .

Do you have a TDS meter? (Total Dissolved Solids) If not, get one and keep the water within the parameters for your shrimp. I keep my neos around 180 TDS.

Do you use RO water and add salts? Salty Shrimp Minerals GH/KH+ can help you get the water just right. I use this to get my TDS to the 180s.

Do you have leaf litter or botanicals? They provide things the shrimp will need to thrive and stay healthy. Add some Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, birch leaves, alder cones, etc. They add tannins to the water and provide antibacterial and antifungal properties to help your shrimp stay healthy.

Baby Neocaridina will appreciate biofilm. A product like BacterAE can help with that and help ensure that your babies make it to the next stage of growth. This product as well as several other GlasGarten products will not foul the water and can help your shrimp survive, especially if you are new to shrimp keeping (like I am).

Along with Hikari Crab Cuisine and Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, I really like the shrimp GlasGarten products. Mineral Junkie is another GlasGarten product that I would not want to be without. My shrimp and the snails in my little tank both love the stuff and it ensures they have the minerals needed for healthy molts. The females must molt successfully first before they can become berried.

I’ve been keeping shrimp in a 5.5 gallon brand new tank set up in March 2022 (although I did use gravel from an existing cycled tank as well as filter floss from an existing cycled tank). I had to take still pictures, but have counted as many as 40 shrimp visible in my little tank. My first set of babies came a little less than 3 months after setting up the tank.

Your shrimp might also appreciate grazing on the biofilms that grow on cholla wood and driftwood, also giving them little places to hide.

I hope some of this info helps you. I love to talk about shrimp.

Do you have a TDS meter? (Total Dissolved Solids) If not, get one and keep the water within the parameters for your shrimp. I keep my neos around 180 TDS.

Do you use RO water and add salts? Salty Shrimp Minerals GH/KH+ can help you get the water just right. I use this to get my TDS to the 180s.

Do you have leaf litter or botanicals? They provide things the shrimp will need to thrive and stay healthy. Add some Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, birch leaves, alder cones, etc. They add tannins to the water and provide antibacterial and antifungal properties to help your shrimp stay healthy.

Baby Neocaridina will appreciate biofilm. A product like BacterAE can help with that and help ensure that your babies make it to the next stage of growth. This product as well as several other GlasGarten products will not foul the water and can help your shrimp survive, especially if you are new to shrimp keeping (like I am).

Along with Hikari Crab Cuisine and Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, I really like the shrimp GlasGarten products. Mineral Junkie is another GlasGarten product that I would not want to be without. My shrimp and the snails in my little tank both love the stuff and it ensures they have the minerals needed for healthy molts. The females must molt successfully first before they can become berried.

I’ve been keeping shrimp in a 5.5 gallon brand new tank set up in March 2022 (although I did use gravel from an existing cycled tank as well as filter floss from an existing cycled tank). I had to take still pictures, but have counted as many as 40 shrimp visible in my little tank. My first set of babies came a little less than 3 months after setting up the tank.

Your shrimp might also appreciate grazing on the biofilms that grow on cholla wood and driftwood, also giving them little places to hide.

I hope some of this info helps you. I love to talk about shrimp.
Yeah I was thinking of getting some leaf litter I think that stuff is good for them to eat and can lower ph Abit I don’t use put salt water in it I always just use normal tap water

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ is for freshwater shrimp and it is what I use because I use RO water. It provides the minerals and trace elements shrimp need for good health when using RO water. Perhaps your tap water provides what your shrimp needs, but perhaps it does not. You won’t know unless you test it. I have a well here and the TDS from my tap is around 400. I need the TDS to be around 180, so I buy pure water and add minerals to it. Also my tap water PH is close to 9. I need the PH around 6.8.

What is the TDS, PH, GH and KH of your water straight out of the tap? I get the impression that you really don’t know. Those are important readings for any shrimp keeper. If it doesn’t meet the minimum requirements for your shrimp you will soon find out. Shrimp may not be able to molt and therefore will not be able to breed. Shrimplets may not survive. Adult shrimp may die due to failed molts.

The leaf litter and botanicals will provide a long lasting food source for your shrimp and will not pollute the water, especially handy if you leave on vacation or get a little busy.

Im
Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ is for freshwater shrimp and it is what I use because I use RO water. It provides the minerals and trace elements shrimp need for good health when using RO water. Perhaps your tap water provides what your shrimp needs, but perhaps it does not. You won’t know unless you test it. I have a well here and the TDS from my tap is around 400. I need the TDS to be around 180, so I buy pure water and add minerals to it. Also my tap water PH is close to 9. I need the PH around 6.8.

What is the TDS, PH, GH and KH of your water straight out of the tap? I get the impression that you really don’t know. Those are important readings for any shrimp keeper. If it doesn’t meet the minimum requirements for your shrimp you will soon find out. Shrimp may not be able to molt and therefore will not be able to breed. Shrimplets may not survive. Adult shrimp may die due to failed molts.

The leaf litter and botanicals will provide a long lasting food source for your shrimp and will not pollute the water, especially handy if you leave on vacation or get a little busy.
going to try to get some leave litter I used and ts really good for shrimp i havent tested my tap water yet I’ll tested it soon

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back