Is this a female molly and uf so is she ready to give birth.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tracy83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi ,, always thought I just had male Molly's,, but have just noticed the one pictured looking very square and hiding alot,, is it a female if so is she ready to give birth?

Attachments

• 20210420_093135.jpg
    20210420_093135.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 60
Hi ,, always thought I just had male Molly's,, but have just noticed the one pictured looking very square and hiding alot,, is it a female if so is she ready to give birth?
Definitely a male molly. You can tell by the pointiness of his anal fin. Females have rounded anal fins.

He could just be well fed but watch for any signs of overfeeding. Livebearers, ESPECIALLY mollies and platys, have a tendency to over eat whenever they can. This can cause bloating and further issues like swim bladder malfunction and dropsy (which seems to be a current verdict by another response).

The photo seems to show its scales raised where they show against the background. Look down on the fish from above - do its scales stick out like a pine cone? That is the classic sign of dropsy.

Dropsy isn't a disease itself, it is a symptom of an underlying disease. The difficulty is working out what the underlying disease is. But when a fish gets dropsy it is often too late to treat the underling disease.

In the photo you've shown, is clearly shown open scales. Look at the top and the bottom of the body. It's dropsy for sure.

It looks like a male with dropsy.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

It depends what the underlying disease was. It could have been bacterial, viral or even protozoan. Dropsy occurs when the underlying disease affects the fish's kidneys and fluid builds up in the body. Keep a close eye on the rest of your fish and if they start to look or behave even slightly differently, let us know.
For now, I would do extra water changes which will remove a lot of any disease organisms which might be in the tank.

Update ,, mr molly died this morning ?? is dropsy contagious x
Sorry to hear...
Mostly if they're having dropsy and looking too bloated already, you're not able to safe them.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

It depends what the underlying disease was. It could have been bacterial, viral or even protozoan. Dropsy occurs when the underlying disease affects the fish's kidneys and fluid builds up in the body. Keep a close eye on the rest of your fish and if they start to look or behave even slightly differently, let us know.
For now, I would do extra water changes which will remove a lot of any disease organisms which might be in the tank.
Thanks so much x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back