Is the python actually worth it?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Same as Python hose, They are not Neoprene, my guess is Polyvinyl
Mmmm... No I dont think so. Airline tubing and the python stuff seem like they can absorb liquid if soaked for long enough

Mmmm... No I dont think so. Airline tubing and the python stuff seem like they can absorb liquid if soaked for long enough
Soak a Python or airline tube in water for a month (or more), drain any liquid from inside and dry the outside. Extract any remaining water. Report findings.

Soak a Python or airline tube in water for a month (or more), drain any liquid from inside and dry the outside. Extract any remaining water. Report findings.
I will soak it in vinegar/water for a month and see if the vinegar stays...

vinegar might dissolve the plastic if left in contact with it for a long time.

Someone contact the company that makes Python gravel cleaners and ask them if the hose is porous and how to clean the inside of the hose.

The python hose isn't neoprene.neoprene soaks water in,but not through.divers wetsuits,fishermens waders are neoprene.

I will soak it in vinegar/water for a month and see if the vinegar stays...
Vinegar is an acid (acetic) , pH ~2.5, and is not applicable to porosity discussions WRT water. Even so, the acetic acid may bind to the plastic and leave a residual smell, that in no way indicates porosity which is a mechanical and not a chemical property.

Vinegar is an acid (acetic) , pH ~2.5, and is not applicable to porosity discussions WRT water. Even so, the acetic acid may bind to the plastic and leave a residual smell, that in no way indicates porosity which is a mechanical and not a chemical property.
Hmm ok... Well the thing is, is to find out if the hose is able to slowly draw in liquid... So what if I dyed water red and then let it sit for a month... That should tell us

Or the dye would stick to the surface of the inside of the hose rather than penetrating it in the same way that the reagents in the API nitrite test stick to the glass if it's left to stand too long. (That was discussed in another thread about washing the test tubes)

Technically plastics are permeable, but practically speaking in the context of aquarium usage they are not. It is more of an issue for gasses, e.g. CO2 outgassing in carbonated beverage containers.

vinegar might dissolve the plastic if left in contact with it for a long time.

Someone contact the company that makes Python gravel cleaners and ask them if the hose is porous and how to clean the inside of the hose.
From the python website:
We take all the steps necessary to ensure the product you receive is of the highest quality FDA approved materials. Unlike garden hoses, our patented systems consist of UV stabilized, non-porous tubing which eliminates the possibility of adding dangerous chemical toxins into your aquarium water.

From the python website:
We take all the steps necessary to ensure the product you receive is of the highest quality FDA approved materials. Unlike garden hoses, our patented systems consist of UV stabilized, non-porous tubing which eliminates the possibility of adding dangerous chemical toxins into your aquarium water.
Intriguing...

Pythons are expensive . You could get a small submersible pump and put it in the bucket and do it like that. @Colin_T has told how to do this many times.
That’s what I do and it works great. No mess. I have a small pump that fits in my filter compartment to pump the water out. You can also just use a siphon hose.
To refill I have a pump strong enough to pump from floor level up into the tank. I’m using 2 five gallon buckets, and as one empties I fill it from the other one. When the water gets to low for the pump, unplug it, and take the end out of the tank so it won’t start siphoning the water out. The rest of the water is easily added to the tank from the bucket.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back