Is Ro Wter Beneficial For Trops?

Benson112

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
220
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi all,

Due to a recent (like 2 hours ago) bit of bad financial news it looks as though i may be giving up on my marine tank before ive even had a fish in there! Its not deffo yet but its looking increasingly more likely.

So while im just trying to figure out how much money ill get back compared to what i have spent, i was just wondering...is RO water beneficial for trops? I cant be tank-less so ill go back to trops while i sort my financial issues out, and if RO water is going to be useful then ill keep my RO unit.

Cheers,

Phil
 
the fifty million dollar question. I guess it depends on what your tap water is like in terms of quality.

I would say Not beneficial and infact harmfull unless you add/replace naturally occurring salts etc back into the water.

edited: Meant to say sorry for the upset - financial stuff sucks!
 
Cheers for the replys guys...easy decision to make then...tah tah to the RO unit! No point in using RO and adding supliments when i can use tap water and use treatement.

Thanks again!

Phil
 
Discus fanatics swear by using RO
 
Erm, actually, we don't BigC. With tank breds (excluding German stock) RO usually causes the Discus to strop. Tank bred fish will never have seen soft acidic water before in their life, as they grow out better in harder alkaline water, so going into a soft acidic tank stresses them, often to the point of death...

All the best
Rabbut
 
You could try selling the ro water in your local area thus justify keeping it.
 
Sorry rabbutt I stand corrected I was under the impression that Jack Wattley's literature and many members of the BIDKA used RO for breeding.
I didn't know they were better grown out in more alkaline/harder water

C
 
Don't get me wrong, you need soft water for fertility of these fish when you spawn, so you do "need" RO in most breeding situations, but for growing out or keeping them, it isn't really a help :good:
 
I live in an area w/extremely hard, basic water and i've been much more successful now that i'm using 1/2 RO water 1/2 tap water w/every water change...so, if you're getting rid of an RO unit PM me!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top