Is Posting Fish Good Or Bad?

How do you feel about posting fish? (assuming that they are posted correctly)

  • Its fine

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i'll receive them, but i would never send them

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shouldn't be allowed

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I suppose its ok, but not something that i would do

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
5,591
Reaction score
3
Points
36
Location
Shropshire UK
I'm always curious to know why people don't believe in posting fish.
especially on ebay it seems people have such negative feelings towards postage.
So my question is "what are your thoughts? Good, Bad ?

My personal opinion is provided the fish is sent packed safely (i.e. plenty of air, heat packs if necessary etc.)
then it should have no long term effects on the fishs health and so is ok to do if necessary
 
I think it's fine, but I would never do it.
 
i have always resisted the urge to post. but i will receive my first posted fish on Monday. so i may have new views then!
 
Both Sent and received Fish no Probs. Just need to do it properly and they are fine.

I.e starve the fish prior to sending so that they do not foul the water in transport.
Put in some plants with tme to make them more secure.
Use the correct bags
(Seen this used for shrimps - Sent in bags with Lots of Filter wool, they are more secure and a good surface to cling to)
plenty of air in bag
heat packs if required
insulate to bags
and used a good strong transport box
cleary label the box
and send at the right time of day to ensure fast delivery and the least amount of time in the postal system.
 
Sent plenty of fish and recieved a few, and they have all been fine,

i always double bag fish and pad them with shredded paper, heatpack and all well sealed in a box and jobs a goodun'

you soon get used to doing it and get used to the procedures etc and it becomes easy...
 
I don't see how anyone can answer "It shouldn't be allowed" unless they have never bought fish from a pet store.

That's how they get there...and it's a slower delivery than most websites offer.
 
I think it's fine. If anybody here is from Colorado, they know it is almost impossible to find any sort of rare fish. Many of my fish came from California from my uncle. For the most part they were fine. If you think about it, all fish have been shipped some time or another to a lfs.

Ryan
 
Wild caught Tropical Fish, before they reach your dealers tanks, may well have been shipped to 3 or 4 holding stations. So we need to be able to ship/post/distribute. Otherwise we would not have such a diverse hobby as we have today.
Some specialist organisations freely ship/post/distribute both fish and eggs via the myriad of postal services available.
Here is how I go about it, ethical or not your free to make up your own minds.
http://www.fishforums.net/content/Killifis...Transportation/
Regards
BigC
 
I've gotten most of my newer fish in the mail, to be honest. I have no problem with it, unless the seller doesn't know how to package the fish, etc. I don't have a problem with sending them myself, but I haven't yet. I'm a bit of a wuss.

As stated before, if you have a problem with shipping fish, you have to realize that fish have to be shipped to the LFS's everywhere. No shipping = no fish.
 
I wouldn't know how to send them myself.
But receiving them in the mail? Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. :)
 
Much less stressful for the fish to have them posted straight from the breeder than to go through the lfs. Some people seem to think that fish are able to apparate into shop tanks without any stress. Or that your average fish shop breeds their own.
 
Theres a Supplier/Wholesaler on another forum is use and he has posted pix of shipments gone bad - $50K worth of fish arrived dead, so think what proportion of fish perish during transport from wherever they are bred/harvested from.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top