Is My Water Quality Acceptable

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mazain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Those who are Experts and Pros on Aquarium water quality and following my threads find my Water Quality Acceptable or Should I invest in more Active Carbon and Purigen Seachem to absorb the tannins from snoring logs and miscoloration from the Aquasoils.

Attachments

• 20240311_131013.jpg
    20240311_131013.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 19
Purigen is cosmetic. Do you want tannins, or not? I don't use activated carbon as my tanks don't smell bad, and I don't use purigen because I try to have tannins. Tannins are not bad or a water quality issue. They would not be good for certain fish, but are fantastic for others.

Are you those fish hobiest when you walk in to a fish shop you see a planted tank and go "wow" the water is crystal clear type of person. Want to create that in home aquariums.

What's your water quality like?
ammonia?
nitrite?
nitrate?
pH?
GH?
KH?
toxic chemicals, chlorine/ chloramine, etc?

You shouldn't need to add carbon to an aquarium unless it has heavy metals or poisonous chemicals in the water. If these are coming from the tap water, then you should filter the water through carbon before adding it to the aquarium. If you don't have anything bad (chemicals, heavy metals, poisons) in the water, you don't need carbon.

If you want clear water, do big regular water changes.

One technique is to put the wood outside in water and drain it off daily until it releases its tannins. It takes patience.

I have crystal clear tanks, and tannin tanks. It depends on what I am trying to create.

Thanks GarryE, Does plants filter the miscoloration and tannins from the water?

They do not. The wood releases tannins, but only for a period. In a tank, that takes many months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back