Is my tank overstocked?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. Iā€™m new here. I have a twenty gallon tank with 4 zebra danios and 2 pearl danios. Iā€™m hoping to get 3-4 emerald green corys and 7 neon tetras. Iā€™m also hoping to get a single or pair of honey Gouramis. Is that overstocking? Pls respond.
Thanks ?

Yeah, I'd say that would be overstocking unless you're heavily planted and plan to do extra water changes. Lots of fairly incompatible fish and with the exception of the gouramis, they are all schooling fish and would best be kept in groups of 6+ (more is better).

Which 20 gallon do you have? Is it a high, long or other? Filtration?

The danios will nip the gouramis feelers, so it is probably a no-go with the gouramis since danios are active and semi boisterous fish. Instead of the emerald corys, you could probably go with 6-7 panda corys provided your tank is a 20 long.

Hi. Iā€™m new here. I have a twenty gallon tank with 4 zebra danios and 2 pearl danios. Iā€™m hoping to get 3-4 emerald green corys and 7 neon tetras. Iā€™m also hoping to get a single or pair of honey Gouramis. Is that overstocking? Pls respond.
Thanks ?
It depends on the filtration, aeration, plants, and the number of water changes/how much you do. Though, cories are schooling fish, as well as the danios. So, instead of the cories, I would do 2 more zebras and 4 more pearls. This way, you'll see them hiding less and they'll be less stressed. You could drop the tetras and just get 1 honey gourami. If your filters can handle it, you keep up on your water changes, and you test your parameters and make sure they're still okay, it's totally fine. "Overstocking" your tank doesn't matter as much as long as your fish are happy and have enough space and your parameters are good!

Thanks ?
Usually it is recommended to have 1 gallon per 2ā€ of fish. Gouramis can be territorial at times and so can Danios. Telling you from experience. They bullied a few of my fish and killed a few until I caught on and gave them their own space! Fish tanks are a great price at Petco right now... Iā€™d suggest getting a 20 gallon long if you donā€™t already have one or adding another 20 long.

Yeah, I'd say that would be overstocking unless you're heavily planted and plan to do extra water changes. Lots of fairly incompatible fish and with the exception of the gouramis, they are all schooling fish and would best be kept in groups of 6+ (more is better).

Which 20 gallon do you have? Is it a high, long or other? Filtration?
Ok thanks. I have a couple of plants (bacopa Caroliniana and Amazon Swords) I have lots of time so I can do water changes every couple of days if needed. My tank is 1ft front to back, 23 and a half inches left to right, and 16 inches high. I might have to drop the Gouramis if needed.
Usually it is recommended to have 1 gallon per 2ā€ of fish. Gouramis can be territorial at times and so can Danios. Telling you from experience. They bullied a few of my fish and killed a few until I caught on and gave them their own space! Fish tanks are a great price at Petco right now... Iā€™d suggest getting a 20 gallon long if you donā€™t already have one or adding another 20 long.
Ok thanks.
It depends on the filtration, aeration, plants, and the number of water changes/how much you do. Though, cories are schooling fish, as well as the danios. So, instead of the cories, I would do 2 more zebras and 4 more pearls. This way, you'll see them hiding less and they'll be less stressed. You could drop the tetras and just get 1 honey gourami. If your filters can handle it, you keep up on your water changes, and you test your parameters and make sure they're still okay, it's totally fine. "Overstocking" your tank doesn't matter as much as long as your fish are happy and have enough space and your parameters are good!
Ok. Iā€™ll have to keep thinking. Would otocinclus work instead of the cories?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back