What's new

is my platy pregnant?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

adiemcarthur

Reaction score
I have what seems to be one male and one female platy, and i am beginning to think she is pregnant. The one that i believe is a female has a bigger belly than the male. Also the male follows the female around everywhere. He will constantly be with her, I am not quite sure but kind of assume she is. Just coming on here to ask for someones answer or opinion on this. Thanks!

If you have a male and female, the female will be at some stage of pregnancy.

It is also a good idea to have more females than males. With one of each the male will continually pester the female; males can be so persistent that the female can die of stress. With more females, each one gets time out while the male chases another. But this does mean a lot more fry. Every month.

Well, even if she's developing eggs, she doesn't have to be pregnant yet. For there's a difference between holding eggs and being pregnant as long as the eggs aren't fertilized yet. But in both ways, she can be big.

Since there is no photo and you said
The one that i believe is a female
it is easy to tell male platies from females. Lok at the anal fin - that's the one underneath the fish right in front of the tail. If it's fan shapes, it's a female; if it's rod shaped, it's a male.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back