Is my 40litre tank overcrowded

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

She

Reaction score
Hi all, i was hoping for abit of advice, do you think my aquarium is overcrowded? I have a 40litre tank with 2 balloon belly mollies and two plateys (sorry for any spelling mistakes) and 4 albino Cory Dora’s and a Pygmy catfish and two almano shrimp ?

yes that is too overcrowded. all of those are small fish, and they cant live together. platies and mollies and shrimp can but others need soft water
get at least a 20 gal

Thank you for your help, I also have a 24 litre aquarium with an elephant ear beta in but I suppose that wouldn’t help the overcrowding issue because I can imagine the beta won’t appreciate tank mates! Thank you again sgooosh :)

Hang on before we make any justifications, do you know the dimensions of the tank? Do you also know the general hardness?

As @Sgooosh said above mollys and platies like harder water usually in the 250ppm range whilst your corys prefer water around 100ppm. ppm is the measurement for what the GH is. GH can be found by going to your local water companys website, putting in your address or postcode and seeing how hard your water is. Sometimes it will come up in German degrees which will have the number and dh on the end. Also is this pygmy catfish small and have a black line down it's flank? If it does it is Corydoras pygmaeus and need groups of 10+. I don't think your tank can support that much but 6-8 could work.

Thank you for your help, I also have a 24 litre aquarium with an elephant ear beta in but I suppose that wouldn’t help the overcrowding issue because I can imagine the beta won’t appreciate tank mates! Thank you again sgooosh :)
no bettas like tank mates test it out with another fish and if they dont like it then scoop it out

Reactions: She
Hang on before we make any justifications, do you know the dimensions of the tank? Do you also know the general hardness?

As @Sgooosh said above mollys and platies like harder water usually in the 250ppm range whilst your corys prefer water around 100ppm. ppm is the measurement for what the GH is. GH can be found by going to your local water companys website, putting in your address or postcode and seeing how hard your water is. Sometimes it will come up in German degrees which will have the number and dh on the end. Also is this pygmy catfish small and have a black line down it's flank? If it does it is Corydoras pygmaeus and need groups of 10+. I don't think your tank can support that much but 6-8 could work.
cories can go in groups of 6 i heard. one time i only had one cory and it was depressed ans scared. got reaturned

cories can go in groups of 6 i heard. one time i only had one cory and it was depressed ans scared. got reaturned
Yeah corys are active schooling fish and need a 15 gallon+ tank too be happy. They also need a group of at least 5 too be completely happy.

Yeah corys are active schooling fish and need a 15 gallon+ tank too be happy. They also need a group of at least 5 too be completely happy.
im planning to get them for my 75 gallon. what if the guppies attack the algae wafers before they do?

im planning to get them for my 75 gallon. what if the guppies attack the algae wafers before they do?
Tetra do a product called cory wafers. Drop 2 of them in at feeding time and the corys should be able to get some food. At least I think it was tetra. Search up cory wafers on google and it should pop up.

Thank you you’ve given so much help, You guys are great!

05B909D7-562A-4711-A2D1-DFD0B019E7A1.png

This is the “ catfish “ or what he looks like is he the corydoras type that need a school?

Tetra do a product called cory wafers. Drop 2 of them in at feeding time and the corys should be able to get some food. At least I think it was tetra. Search up cory wafers on google and it should pop up.
i have some algae wafers but guppies are big bullies and never let my snail have any food :(

Reactions: She

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back