Is it worth selling/breeding these guppies?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hi, Just sharing my experience with any guppy i have. I normally take mine to LFS who quarantines them for 10 days, After that he sells for £2 a Male & £3 for Female.
I trade maybe 20-50 for fish food around £5 or against other goods. I know things are prob different in other countries but here in the UK, Guppys are scarce during this pandemic & it seems fish keeping is a good past time right now. So any fish on the market seems to sell quickly. Also I've discovered social media is a good place to maybe make a small profit.
Hope this helps ?

LOL, I don't sell my guppy young, I give them to the fish store for free! He sometimes knocks some cash off the total of things I buy or gives me a good deal, but it's out of kindness rather than a need for my guppies. Guppies and Endlers are cheap and mass produced, don't cost a lot, so stores aren't going to pay a lot for guppy/Endler young I'm afraid, unless it's a special fancy variety that they can sell for a higher price point.

My guppies are plain old farm bred store mutt guppies, not a fancy variety, so I need my LFS to take the hundreds of young they produce far more than he needs them as stock, since he can buy farm raised guppies for cheap in mass quantities at any wholesaler. It costs way more to raise them to 2-3 months old than I make back in store credit. Breeding them has just been for fun. I need him to take them since they breed so easily and in huge numbers, I'd run out of space quickly, and selling them privately is a pain, organising to sell 2-3 fry per person for a £1 or so each. Not worth the hassle really for me to do it privately. While if the LFS stopped taking my guppy offspring, his business wouldn't suffer in the slightest!

Yours are very pretty, and I can't believe they were in a bathtub in the woods! What a horrible person to dump them there :( Happy that you found them and are giving them a good home! I do really love the colours and tail shapes, I don't think they're rare, but they are beautiful.

Aquarium Co Op has great series about breeding fish for profit, how to breed and the common problems, and supply and demand issues from the retailers point of view. It's very interesting even if you don't plan to breed fish to sell!
Thanks for the input. I get what your saying haha. Has been fun raising the fry and watching them grow. I was thinking private but thought of the same problem you mentioned. Luckily I haven’t been over run yet so still got plenty of time to figure out what to do.
Tbh the guppies in the bath tub seemed to do quite well. Live in Hawaii and there was lots of near by fruit trees. So plenty of flys and fruit n bugs that find their way in the tub. And it’s unlikely it would dry up as we get a lot of rain too. They seemed quite well established.
Also thanks for telling me about the video. :) will check it out.

wait~ how did you find them in a bathtub in the woods? they look cool, i would probabaly sell them
No clue why they were there. But live in Hawaii which is tropical so no reason why they wouldn’t survive. Also lots of nearby fruit trees that would drop stuff in. I assume someone put them in there to get rid of mosquitoes. Or maybe just to look pretty. The location it’s in is a mile or so in the woods (vey out of the way) but on a very nicely maintained and decorated trail. Next time I go I’ll see if I can find the pics of the whole site. It’s quite impressive.

Most reactions

Back