Is it Ok to cycle a tank with .....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

haddock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Well my 40g tank arrives tonight so I'm now thinking of which fish to use to cycle it.
I know danios are probably the best but I wasn't planning to have them in my tank.

Do you think that harlequin rasbosas are hardy enough to handy being in a cycling tank?

The other fish I want to get eventually include, cardinal tetras, penguin tetras, cory cats and maybe hatchets. Would any of these be a better choice for first fish?

Also how many fish should I add at first.

Thanks

I think the harlequins would be the best choice of your intended stock....I wouldn't put more than six in first go tho!!!

Please don't add the harlequins you will lose them, they are not a hardy fish and very sensetive to water quality, dosn't take much to kill them in nitrites, even a slight raise can fiinish them off, you want to think of maybe a few platys as they are a hardy fish.

or even feeder guppies (but they WILL produce little ones - could be a good thing or a bad thing - depends on future stocking :p ) or danios ....even if you return them after!

Danios are probably the best choice, and if you don't want to keep them I'm sure you could find somebody to take them off your hands.

If you feel you don't really want any of the common cycling fishes (danios, platies), there is always the option of the fishless cycle (see threads above).

I'm doing that because I felt it would give me more freedom in stocking (and be nicer to the fish). :fish:

Most reactions

Back