Is It Fungus?

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
0
Points
0
(I Apologies because I don't have a camera.)

So I got a Pleco.

Unfortunally I am unable to tell you what kind, however the local fish shop said it was "A type of of bushy nose".

When I got the pleco the woman serving me gave me one with slightly different appearance ("light spots on its cheeks as the woman put it").

I have noticed the spots change.

The spot has gotten lighter in color (more white-ish) and when I shine a light on it .. The spot looks raised and has what looks like super tiny hairs on it.

It has been 3 days and no other fish have shown any signs of contracting anything.

Some have told me (When asking if this was ich) it could be the bristles coming through.

The white dot is about as big as this 0 <-- that zero.

It has changed from a light patch to this in 2 days.

Does this sound like fungus? Or is my Pleco just becoming a man ha ha

I went back to the fish shop and none of the other Plecos have any sign of this and the woman was unsure if what I described was bristles coming out.
 
Are the spots almost directly under its eyes? That's where bristlenoses have their secret weapons, sets of very sharp bone spikes that are normally hidden inside a "pocket" but their tips may show. They are light colored and the tips may look like tiny hairs. When threatened (and also when "yawning") the bristlenose will fully extend the spikes, they can be pretty impressive.
 
I would say no ... it is between the eyes and the most front part of the pleco. If I was to describe it .. I would say it looks like a small piece of cotton.
 
Ok so I am sure the Pleco I bought has Fungal it is exactly as described

- cotton looking
- usually following injury

Which are both true.

I have tested my water and the specs where great.

Which wasn't a surprise as I am an avid water changer and I also like to do a water change when introducing a new fish to the tank.

So tomorrow I am going to buy a fungal med while this is a small problem.

Anyone recommend a med?
 
So how do I tell the difference between this and fin rot?
are the meds different? They recommend Coppersafe which I think treats both?
 
I don't have a camera so I am stuck there.

if I described it.

A lighter area where colours are dulled and is roughly the size of this zero 0.

On extremely close inspection I can see what looks like clearish hairs coming out of the white area.

It is located on the top part of the Pleco half way between the eye and the most front edge of the pleco.

If I go through the symptoms

# White spots on mouth, edges of scales, and fins [NO]
# Cottony growth that eats away at the mouth [White spot with growth on upper side between eye and most front part of the fish So not on mouth but on fish]
# Fins disintegrate beginning at the edges [The fins look tattered but the fish has been attacked due to territory disputes]
# 'Saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin [NO]
# Fungus often invades the affected skin [There is currently a cut on the underside of the pleco but is healing nicely]
# Rapid gilling in cases where gills are infected [NO]

None of the other fish in the tank are showing any signs and they have been in direct contact with the Pleco.

The local fish store has not reported any simular symptoms in the stock from the same tank.

I am a little unsure about what action I should be taking.
 
I know its lame to try and do this without a picture ... I don't own a camera I am just trying to do something.
 
Based on your description it does sound like an infected scratch on the head or on the nostril flap. I've never had to treat anything but ich (*knocks on wood*) so I'm not really familiar with the best ways to treat fungal and bacterial infections. I'd post on the Emergencies forum (or maybe send a PM to a member called Wilder to come look at this thread, as he seems to be very experienced with this kind of thing).
 
Ive had something like this on one of my cory's
it looked like a little white bump on his nose.
i figure he had just bumped his nose against some lava rock i nolonger have in my tank

it went away in a couple weeks



but on another note
the title of this topic could TOTOALLY be the name of a game show!!!


i hope you fix your plec up!
 
I have bought Mardel Maroxy I haven't used it yet as I don't know if I should wait or dose the problem doesn't seem to be getting worse.

Thanks to everyone who has helped.
 
Ok So I have Maroxy ... Should I dose or not dose? I am floating either way right now.
 
Truthfully right or wrong I am just looking for an unbiased opinion ... Should I does with Maroxy or wait and see what happens from here?

I have tried joining planetcatfish with no luck as I never received the email.

So I feel pretty out of resources.
 
Truthfully right or wrong I am just looking for an unbiased opinion ... Should I does with Maroxy or wait and see what happens from here?

I have tried joining planetcatfish with no luck as I never received the email.

So I feel pretty out of resources.
If you are sure it's fungus then treat. If there isn't any fungus then you wasted your money on the wrong med. I would have used Pimafix and let it heal naturally.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top