Is boiling water going to soften it?

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi, I just started thinking to soften my bettas water the free way by just putting new water in a frying pan and then just boil it to soften it every week when doing partial water changes?
If yes, for how long should I boil it? Kettle better?
Is it going to shock and harm him?

I don't really want to add tannins to the water, I want to keep it crystal.

No, I'm afraid not.It will remove carbonates (that is it will lower KH) but it won't remove calcium and magnesium which are what make hard water hard.

KH is sometimes called temporary hardness because it can be reduced by heating, but GH is permanent hardness - it can't be removed by heating.

No it's not going to soften the water.

------------------
You can make a solar still to get pure water or use rain water or reverse osmosis water.

A solar still is made from a plastic bucket, a plastic storage container and lid, a couple of non porous rocks.

Put the storage container outside in the sun.
Half fill it with tap water.
Put the bucket in the middle of the storage container and put a rock in the bucket to stop it floating around.
Put the lid on the container and put another rock on the lid (near the centre).

The water evaporates and condenses on the underside of the lid. The rock on the lid causes the lid to sag in the middle over the bucket. The pure water on the lid runs to the middle and drips into the bucket. This water has a GH of 0ppm and a pH of 7.0.

Pick up some RO water (reverse osmosis) and use that, It is better than using distilled water. That is what I have been doing for my tetra tank.
Will this be alright? Found it quite cheap given my bettas tank is only 30L. Will be looking for just RO water too.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I buy mine from a local soft water dealer, not sure on the item never used something like that. There are several members who have their own RO systems. I checked into buying one but it would cost $1,300+ and the wife was not wild about spending that kind of money for my fish :fish:

I think that's the cartridge that fits in the RO equipment. This equipment has to be bought separately. They cartridges wear out which is why they sell replacements.

Think of it like a filter with a carbon cartridge - you have to replace the cartridges when they get full. But you have to buy the filter first. The item in your link is the replacement cartridge.

If you bing places in your area that sell water softeners or water coolers like Calican Water that is where I buy my RO water. They sell it in 5 gallon jugs like the ones that sit on top of drinking water dispensers or coolers. My local Calican dealer also lets me fill one gallon bottles at 29 cents a gallon.

I buy mine from a local soft water dealer, not sure on the item never used something like that. There are several members who have their own RO systems. I checked into buying one but it would cost $1,300+ and the wife was not wild about spending that kind of money for my fish :fish:
May be worth a re-visit. Mine is quite similar to this. I upgraded my 50GPD membrane to 100GPD when it needed replacing - same cost.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVFD173/?tag=ff0d01-20

May go up to 150GPD next time or just buy one of the super duper 400GPD systems which don't need a tank and waste less water.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Soft water dealer....sounds suspicious ;) do you meet in a back alley?

I think that's the cartridge that fits in the RO equipment. This equipment has to be bought separately. They cartridges wear out which is why they sell replacements.

Think of it like a filter with a carbon cartridge - you have to replace the cartridges when they get full. But you have to buy the filter first. The item in your link is the replacement cartridge.
Yeah, its just a cartridge:blush: I just read the description of the item. Clumsy me:lol:

May be worth a re-visit. Mine is quite similar to this. I upgraded my 50GPD membrane to 100GPD when it needed replacing - same cost.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVFD173/?tag=ff0d01-20

May go up to 150GPD next time or just buy one of the super duper 400GPD systems which don't need a tank and waste less water.
They were pricing it for the whole house but your right this would be cheaper and suit my needs, Thanks:good: They also were suggesting adding a water softener.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They were pricing it for the whole house but your right this would be cheaper and suit my needs, Thanks:good: They also were suggesting adding a water softener.
Found this, is it alright? My bettas tank is about 30L so it'll be like 70-5% of water to be removed from his tank? Anywho, I'll get some indiand almond leaves to be honest and just live with tannins.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You may find it cheaper to buy from a fish shop rather than have it delivered from Ebay. Don't forget that once you strat using RO or deionised, you can never do a water change with all tap water. In an emergency you'll need to have some in a hurry.

Most reactions

Back