Is 10 Gallons Really Too Small For Tiger Barbs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CameronN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank for a while now, and they have been nothing but happy. However, I read a few posts about 10 gallon tanks suffocating the barbs on forums similar to this one and I managed to convince myself that my barbs were dying so I bought a 29 gallon tank (officially best size for tigers apparently). I understand that smaller tanks are unstable, but I want to know why the label "suffocating" has been applied to 10 gallon tanks. (Not allowed to flame cause I have them in the 29)

I've had tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank for a while now, and they have been nothing but happy. However, I read a few posts about 10 gallon tanks suffocating the barbs on forums similar to this one and I managed to convince myself that my barbs were dying so I bought a 29 gallon tank (officially best size for tigers apparently). I understand that smaller tanks are unstable, but I want to know why the label "suffocating" has been applied to 10 gallon tanks. (Not allowed to flame cause I have them in the 29)

They won't suffocate in a 10g but it's just too small for the very active and fast tiger barbs. I'm glad you have them in a 29g. That's what my 14 are in and they do very well in it. I've learned that they do best with their own kind so they're not really suitable for a community tank. They appreciate an established tank with well maintained conditions, and that's too difficult to do with a 10g.
smile.gif

I've had tiger barbs before, and staring at my 10 gallon across the way, I'd never stick a school of them in a tank this size. sure, it won't kill them, but they are quite active, not to mention rather bulky little things.

You could put a Jack Dempsey in a 10g too, and it wouldn't grow very much. What happens to these fish is their bodies don't grow as much as they should, but their internal organs still do. Imagine stuffing your adult organs into an infant's body. Not good.

You could put a Jack Dempsey in a 10g too, and it wouldn't grow very much. What happens to these fish is their bodies don't grow as much as they should, but their internal organs still do. Imagine stuffing your adult organs into an infant's body. Not good.

Thanks I think I get it now, good thing I got the 29g then. It's just a lot of "informational" websites and forums claim that if a shoal of 5+ tigers are put in a 10g they will suffocate and die.

Stick with us. We've got the most members with the best information and experience! Plus you'll generally get an answer to your question pretty quickly.

With the amount of activity mine exhibit I can't imagine how cramped and miserable they would be in a 10g! They use every square inch in my tank. And it's fun to watch them play!

giving a fish a required amount of space often works. but giving the same fish much more space so much better. it's like a single person is able to live in an efficiency apartment of course, but wouldn't that person like it more if they were living in a 2 story, 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a big back yard? i think i would prefer the bigger area.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back