Iron does for low tech what Co2 does for high tech.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Now,I'm getting outrageous growth out of my plants,great color and its from every other day dosing of iron. Alternanthera is redder and thriving since going to the more often dosing. Swords are giant plants now especially the Ozelot red with huge paddle leaves. Fish love to swim under or through it.
Don't listen to "Iron does not make a better planted tank"..it does it all I find. It's better than using dirt,as iron does not create algae like potting soils will. I will choose iron over potting soil any day.
I get it by the gallon at HD and online it can even be cheaper if you mix your own. So now the secret is out.

I'm bringing it back!..You'd be surprised at how often the problems cure from experts involves so many changes to the newbys plant aqua angst when adding iron is all they needed to do.
Its dosing it over the weeks that it really becomes something you can never stop doing or go back to runty plants and pale foliage.
Iron for low tech is invaluable.

I rarely add potassium these days. The chelate in the iron does something and my Java ferns are getting enough potassium from feeding the fish. The iron helps convert the potassium looks like.

There is no way this sword looks like Kelp without iron!..ha.

Attachments

• IMG_4819.JPG
    IMG_4819.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 61
George Farmer's newest scape? Feature Ozelot red. I wonder where he got the idea?

I currently use:
Easy Green from Aquarium Co-Op, twice a week. (as instructed)
SeaChem's Root Tabs
Eco-Complete as my substrate
10-12 hours of light from my Finnex 24/7
I'm thinking this is sufficient, but would adding additional Iron from API's Leaf Zone, be too much? What would you recommend in dosing a Leaf Zone and Easy Green schedule. I have a 60gal planted tank. thanx Jerry

Liquinox chelated iron. NOT the other brand they sell that is a red liquid iron. Plus the red costs twice as much...what you want is the $11 a gallon liquinox in the blue container.
Interesting that I added magnesium salts to treat a fungal issue..and not only cured the fish but made the Java ferns even darker. But overall,iron is a must use if you want serious plant growth. I just use two tablespoons or so every 2-3 days for a 240 gallon tank. For most aquariums you could use less than half an eye droppers worth.

Liquinox chelated iron. NOT the other brand they sell that is a red liquid iron. Plus the red costs twice as much...what you want is the $11 a gallon liquinox in the blue container.
Interesting that I added magnesium salts to treat a fungal issue..and not only cured the fish but made the Java ferns even darker. But overall,iron is a must use if you want serious plant growth. I just use two tablespoons or so every 2-3 days for a 240 gallon tank. For most aquariums you could use less than half an eye droppers worth.
I will be checking that out, thank you.

Remember the KEY is to do it EVERY 2-3 days. Not once a week. Also,you will see results pretty fast...but the better you keep to the schedule,the even better results you will get.
It really doesn't take much in amounts...just you have to be the human doser,unless you have a doser. :) :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back