Iodine Supplementation. Yay Or Nay?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I was reading a species description of cleaner shrimp and it said that they require iodine to molt. I have kept them and they didn't last long, probably 6 months or so. I also have not had success with crabs. It got me thinking that maybe iodine is my problem cause frankly I have never considered it before. So I am starting my research on supplementing iodine in reef tanks and would like your thoughts on it. Do you supplement it? Why or why not and should I? I always thought that the salt mix did all that for me but I might be wrong. I use a brand that my LFS makes. Any input would be great, thanks.

What foods do your Crustaceans have access to? How are the Crustaceans dying/what are the symptoms? Stuck in molts, or just turning up dead one day? 

As far as I'm aware, there is no scientific backing for the idea that substantial dissolved iodine/iodide is necessary for proper molts in Crustaceans. Dietary iodine is another matter. I've read reasonable arguments that dietary iodine can have a big impact on Crustacean health, and it makes sense given that some of these animals contain rather a lot of the stuff, so it has to come from somewhere. That's why I asked about what foods the Crustaceans in  your tanks are getting, since it is known to be important there. I feed all of my Crustaceans things that in some way contain plenty of the stuff, usually by coming directly from other Crustaceans like krill and shrimp. If yours are getting a similar diet, then I would suspect something else is at hand besides iodine. Most people keeping Crustaceans have no need to dose it .

However, there are plenty of reefers who incorporate it in their dosing regimes and there are plenty of marine organisms that will uptake it - corals and macroalgae among them. If you are concerned about the element the first step is to get a test kit. If the levels are low, you can get a liquid supplement to raise it. You should test regularly while you dose and never shoot for anything except the very low end where you can barely detect it. Too much can kill stuff. Also, be warned: nuisance algae also loves the stuff.

That said, I do dose iodide in some of my many tanks. The reason is that I have seen one possible exception in Dardanus hermits, but this is only a personal observation and it still puzzles me. I have kept a couple of Dardanus species where, for whatever reason, they had constant molting issues (deformed and stuck limbs) when I was not supplementing dissolved iodide and they were 100% fine when I did. They had diets that should have been very heavy in the stuff, so I'm still at a loss for why the correlation seemed to be there. I started and stopped multiple times since I wasn't convinced at first and once later when I forgot to buy a new bottle for a while. The iodide levels when dosing would go from measurable and relatively constant to undetectable within 24h of molts with those hermits. Those two species also seemed to need to molt a lot more frequently than other species I've kept, and that is really the ONLY case I've seen where the iodide supplement seemed important. Every other Crustacean I've kept, including many true and hermit species as well as various cleaner shrimp, has not required supplementation for good health and a normal life span.

Thanks Donya. I haven't had cleaner shrimp for a while but I have been wanting to get them again but I want to make sure I do them right. I seem to recall they got sluggish and developed a milky tinge to their color the week leading up to the death. The emerald crabs I never noticed anything, just one day I couldn't find them anymore. They only lasted a couple months.

Right now all I have for crustaceans are hermit crabs. I am not sure of the species so I put a pic of one below if that helps. I have lost 3 of those but I still have 18. At least that's how many I counted the other day. I have them for the algae so I don't really feed them specifically but every now and then I put in these marine grazer discs made by New Era. The ingredients do list krill, shrimp, squid and mussels and a bunch of scientific words that I don't understand but one of them is Calcium Iodate. I got them because my LFS was feeding them to the crabs one day and they were going nuts. My hermits go nuts for it too but I don't feed it often because I don't want them to not eat the algae. Is that crazy? When I had the shrimps I was only feeding flakes and every 3 days I would feed frozen shrimps from Omega. I'm not really sure what I should be looking for on the lable. The nutrient tables on the labels don't show anything about iodine. What do you use for your feeding regiment?

The hermits will be Clibanarius digueti. They are pretty adaptable as CUC animals go, but they are still omnivores. CUC hermit species like C. digueti should not be relied on for algae control - that is another hobby myth. They are primarily omnivores and carnivorous scavengers and need a diet along those lines to behave sanely long-term. They will pick at algae, but often they won't actually eat much of it and will just tear it up while looking for other things. Attempts to force them into unnatural amounts of herbivory often end with them eating something they weren't supposed to after a while (snails, corals, etc. - main cause of "my crab ate my healthy coral" complaints). Hermits and true crabs will also go after other Crustaceans when they are vulnerable right after a molt, so that could well be where the emeralds went. Proper grazing animals like snails are better for algae control.

I seem to recall they got sluggish and developed a milky tinge to their color the week leading up to the death.

Old individuals will start to slow down and sometimes go white before death. Going white rapidly without any slow-down can be indicative of a molting problem, but the slow-down sounds to me like they might have been old. Sometimes it starts in one part, like the tail, and spreads over a couple of weeks. Cleaner species don't live a massively long time; usually only around 3 years or so, and they will be some amount into that when you get them - no telling how much when wild caught. Did you see any successful molts from the shrimp before the slow-down and color change? If not, then something odd is definitely afoot.

A pretty certain way to make sure it's not dietary iodine that's the issue is to feed shrimp or krill in some form regularly. Frozen or fresh is great, but it can be messy and a pain. Pellets also work. This is the type of pellets I use:

http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/shrimp-pellets

I feed all of my tanks with Cruastaceans the pellets daily. For species tanks where the isn't really a CUC, that's the main part of the diet. In tanks with a dedicated CUC, it's more of a supplement so that it's not enough to cause the animals not to eat the uneaten flakes and such, but it's enough to ensure that if they are desperate for that food they certainly have access to it. When doing that, you have to play the amount by ear a bit since the demand will vary based on where they are in their molting cycle. If a war breaks out over a few pellets then it's a cue that you need to add a few more so they don't kill each other over it. Hermits going totally bonkers over something is usually an indicator that they need something from it. If you see some half-eaten pellets left sitting about while the hermits are picking at other things, don't add any more for a few of days until they clean it up.

Feeding CUC animals like I do is considered controversial among some of the larger reefing community, but the fact is that many tanks experience unnecessary invert attrition or require more frequent than necessary "CUC top-ups" due to failure to support those animals well. It really takes quite a large and diverse tank to have a CUC sustained long-term purely on algae and and uneaten fish food while keeping the tank clean. 

Load of rubbish mate. ive never added any supplement to my tank just a 100L water change a week and my tank is running good. 

pingu2013 said:
Load of rubbish mate. ive never added any supplement to my tank just a 100L water change a week and my tank is running good. 

This is a bit broader than the original topic (since it seems to be referring to any supplement, not just iodine), but I feel the need to point it out anyway: just because one tank doesn't require any supplements doesn't mean that they are unnecessary for all tanks. Marine tanks can vary quite widely in their needs, so it's important to address them on a case by case basis. Iodine is one of the more cryptic additives where it's hard to make any good case for using it in most situations, partly since it can be very dangerous if misused, but it's quite common for reef tanks to require other supplements/reactors to replenish what is stripped from the water by things like rapid coral growth. 

Thanks Donya. I got that food you recommended and I am going to try that for a while. I fed them yesterday and I could not find any of the pellets 2 hours later. I think they probably really needed it.

Supplements do scare me so I will always do my research before adding anything to this tank. Thanks Pingu, its good to know how everyone does their tank for reference. Come to think of it I don't add anything to mine except the 20gal water change a week. I have thought about doing the vodka thing but my stats have been pretty stable the last couple months.  

This probably isn't the problem, but I don't think it's been mentioned so I'll bring it up. You say you don't have much success with inverts - is there any chance copper could be in your tank? That'll kill most inverts.

Thanks for the thought but there are some hermits and snails that have been in there for years so it couldn't be copper. I really just think I wasn't feeding them right.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back