Introducing my green Iguana

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

HeatherSweetness

Happy to be back!!
Reaction score
Had this little kitty cat for almost 4 years now...He loves me. :wub: Check him out getting his dewflap scratched-he LOVES it!! :rofl:

Attachments

• hooby1.jpg
    hooby1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 53
(He's sitting on the light for my snake cage..he insists on tearing everything up for me as soon as I put it back.)

Attachments

• hooby2.jpg
    hooby2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 54
The spare bedroom is his bedroom..Mainly. :lol: Although he does share it now with Cuddles my other green ig and the snakes now.

Attachments

• hooby3.jpg
    hooby3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 56
thats a really nice iguana i was thinking of getting one but im a beginner at reptiles and i was told not to get a green iguana because they would be 2 much for me.. r they hard to care for?

and anther question i want a bearded dragon and i cant choose what light to use and since u have a lizard maybe u could help i was thinking of buying a hagen dayglo basking lamp 150w bulb and a hagen night glo moonlight lamp and for the uvb and uva i couldn't decide which was best the reptiglo 5.0 or 8.0 and they say to have a 2.0 along with them but i dont know why maybe u could help

Green igs are kind of hard to tame down-from my experience. Sometimes you get a really calm one and others can be wild as heck. My other ig is pretty nippy and moody so I can't handle her much,she eats out of my hand but she will not let me touch her. lol I'm still working with her. They're kind of like training little green nippy dogs.

Julio was hard to tame when he was wee tiny. He bit alot-and it HURTS even when they are little,they have tiny shark like teeth and a hard mouth-but I kept up with him and even when he bit me I had to pretend that he didn't and keep on him and he quit. They recommend when they start to thrash about when you're holding them to hold the ig as far above your head as possible and hold them there until they calm down,it worked for me. I also sat still with him alot,close to my face and pet him and talked to him. I did that every night for about 2 months and he finally trusted me. If they do bite you,pull the dewlap down and their mouth will open if they insist on clinging. It's an easy way and it doesn't hurt them. They get fairly large,also. I've heard them get up to 7 feet in length,and the males can be very aggressive at mating time. They require specific foods and suppliments,need lots of space and lots of attention to keep them from being wild. I suggest you do a TON of researching before deciding to get one.

As far as lighting goes...I have a 100 watt heat emitting bulb hanging on the ceiling to keep the room warmer,a 50 watt heat emitting bulb for him to bask under,and a 75 watt full spectrum reptile light so they get the essential UVA and UVB rays they NEED to avoid MBD. I also have a shelf in front of the window so they get the morning sunshine and I take them outside for walks because the pure sunshine is much better than the bulbs.

IMO,they are an extreme pain in the behind to train and keep up with,but I wouldn't trade them for anything on earth. :wub:

awwwwww :wub: reminds me of my my old roommate. i mean my old roommate's pet. :lol: in college one of my roommates had an iguana. that lizard was such a ham. we had her up on the entertainment center, and eventhough we weighted down the lid, she'd still get out everyday (my roomie wasn't the most vigilant when it came to cleaning out the tank, i did it quite oftenfor her, mainly for the poor iguana), and drop six feet to the floor. i usually found her posing on top fo the recycling containers or in my bed (my roomie was slob, there wasnt even a path through her room) (almost threw my bookbag on her once she was soo hidden in the covers). funniest thing was the next year, we had two additional roomies, and they weren't quite used to idea of an escape lizard. one afternoon i was sitting on my bed and i hear my roomie scream from her room, i look up and theres the iguanas tail in front of my door which meant she was in the doorway to the roommates room. she grabbed a broom and tried the "sweep" the iguana back down the hall to the owners room where the tank now was. i was rolling on the floor in hysterics. i finally saved her by picking up the iguana and putting her away. they have such personality. i swear she knew when we were taking her picture, she just pose, such a supermodel :lol:

MANY_A_MOLLY said:
awwwwww :wub: reminds me of my my old roommate. i mean my old roommate's pet. :lol: in college one of my roommates had an iguana. that lizard was such a ham. we had her up on the entertainment center, and eventhough we weighted down the lid, she'd still get out everyday (my roomie wasn't the most vigilant when it came to cleaning out the tank, i did it quite oftenfor her, mainly for the poor iguana), and drop six feet to the floor. i usually found her posing on top fo the recycling containers or in my bed (my roomie was slob, there wasnt even a path through her room) (almost threw my bookbag on her once she was soo hidden in the covers). funniest thing was the next year, we had two additional roomies, and they weren't quite used to idea of an escape lizard. one afternoon i was sitting on my bed and i hear my roomie scream from her room, i look up and theres the iguanas tail in front of my door which meant she was in the doorway to the roommates room. she grabbed a broom and tried the "sweep" the iguana back down the hall to the owners room where the tank now was. i was rolling on the floor in hysterics. i finally saved her by picking up the iguana and putting her away. they have such personality. i swear she knew when we were taking her picture, she just pose, such a supermodel :lol:
thats so cute :lol:
i love reptiles, although i had to rule them out since i have so many beasts in my house
i love everything though,
i'm in love with everything from elephants to itsy bitsy spiders (hahaha could you see me with a pet elephant???? :rofl: )
i don't think that there is anything i don't like.... except ear wigs (ewwwww :sick: )
and ticks :grr: and sometimes misquitos :look:
maybe one day go back to reptiles but right now my biggest pride and joy's are my piggy (guinea pig), kitty, puppy, and budgie (and can't forget the fish)

Hi HeatherSweetness :)

He really does look like a happy fellow. :nod: Is that a smile, or does he always look like that? :unsure:

awwww, he's just too cute. My daughter would love him! She's dying for an iguana :)

Adrinal is right..You get comfy with em but you still have to watch em. They can get ornery when they want to. :nod:

Most reactions

Back