Introducing Fred Betta...my adopted houseguest

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

D

Deleted member 149562

Just over a week ago the daughter of one of my neighbour's approached me to ask if I would be willing to take on her mum's Betta called Fred. Sadly her mum has been very unwell lately and was awaiting a vacancy in our local hospice. The neighbour's daughter found out that I had fish and had taken in another, now deceased, neighbour's fish last year when talking to her mum's friend who lived in the same block of flats.

Initially her mum wanted to take Fred with her but there were questions about how practical it would be...her mum being bedridden and the staff not always able to maintain Fred etc. The daughter is not able to care for Fred due to severe disability.

I agreed to take him should the need arise. I bought an Aquael 30 litre cube that I would use for shrimp if Fred did not come to live with me.

Well unfortunately my neighbour took a turn for the worse yesterday and was taken into hospital. The daughter came over and asked if I could take Fred. Since the aquarium he was in was not ideal, I used media and decor from my 200 litre to do a very fast preparation on the cube, again not the best way to go about things but he couldn't stay where he was.

This morning Fred moved into his new home. He is a very feisty little fellow, beautiful colouring.....but for a 3 year old, he is extremely small. I was actually quite shocked tbh.

At the moment he is exploring every inch of his aquarium, flaring at absolutely everything...including me :)

The photo of him doesn't do him justice but when you have a fish determined to have the zoomies all over an aquarium, its hard to get them to stand still :lol:

His colouration is various shades of red, black and white

So...introducing Fred Betta.....

IMG_20220531_105757_resized_20220531_105820453.jpg

I shall try and get a clearer image of him tomorrow when he might have calmed down a bit.....hopefully

A full view of Fred's new home...

AquaeEl 30 litre cube, Nicrew MCR RGB lighting, Interpet CF1 filter and JBL S Pro 50w heater (all brand new equipment and spares from my fishbits cupboard). Black micro gravel substrate, ceramic three entry way rock hide, 6 silicone plants and a variety of living floating plants (all decor taken from my 200 litre community aquarium except for the micro gravel)

The lighting is set at lowest intensity, might raise it a little (but not fully) once Fred is fully settled in.

IMG_20220601_095310_resized_20220601_095356694.jpg

Beautiful betta! Glad to hear he is all perked up and ready to kill anything 😂... Hopefully the daughter's mom does ok

This morning Fred Betta's owner's daughter called me from the hospital.

Her mum passed away overnight.

She had been very ill for a few years. Fred Betta was a gift to her by the daughter 3 years ago to keep company and to encourage mum to get out of bed each day. He was very well looked after...if a little bit spoilt by her mum and her mum's carers.

I have told the daughter she is more than welcome to come see Fred Betta whenever she wants to.

Rest in peace Marieanne.....strength and love to your daughter Violet 😢

This morning Fred Betta's owner's daughter called me from the hospital.

Her mum passed away overnight.

She had been very ill for a few years. Fred Betta was a gift to her by the daughter 3 years ago to keep company and to encourage mum to get out of bed each day. He was very well looked after...if a little bit spoilt by her mum and her mum's carers.

I have told the daughter she is more than welcome to come see Fred Betta whenever she wants to.

Rest in peace Marieanne.....strength and love to your daughter Violet 😢

I'm so sorry. Thoughts with her daughter and family, and for you - you've been a good friend, neighbour and person.

He's a really beautiful betta, and you can tell from the tank and his condition at 3 years old that he's been very well taken care of. I hope Marieanne felt some comfort from knowing that he'd be well taken care of after she passed. What a loving daughter too... rest in peace, Marieanne.

Most reactions

Back