Internal filter recommendations for 45 litre and 120 litre tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nobo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking for some internal filters for low-tech planted tanks, which may end up fairly well stocked (particularly the larger of the two):

• One for a 45 litre tank (50 x 30 x 30 cm)
  • One for a c. 105-120 litre tank (c. 70 x 35 x 50 cm)
I’m after full cycle capability (ideally for both – but particularly the larger tank) so the filters would ideally large enough to pimp the filter with a good amount of biogravel/mirax. (I have a pimped Juwel BioFlow in my Rio 125 which is doing really well stuffed with maybe 1.5kg+ of biogravel)

Something that looks neat/discrete (and perhaps house a heater) is a bonus, as these are ‘scaped tanks.

Many thanks in advance!

You have not indicated the intended fish, and filters should always match the needs of the fish (water movement here), as the plants will do most of the actual filtration. But as these are small tanks (roughly a 10g and a 30g) the fish will be small, so in the 45 liter a single sponge filter is adequate. You could manage fine with no filter at all; I had a 10g that ran for a year with no filter, and it had plants and Boraras brigittae (11) and Corydoras pygmaeus (9). I did find the water was never crystal clear (clean water is very different from clear water, it can be perfectly clean but not crystal clear, as here) so I added a single sponge filter.

The 30g could use a dual sponge (so one air pump would serve both tanks with sponge filters), or if more internal current is needed the Aqueon Quiet Flow internal filters are very good. I had the smallest (for 10 gallons) in my 30g tank which had dwarf loaches so I wanted a bit more flow than a sponge would deliver. My 40g with Corydoras has one of these internal filters, I like them very much.

I have internal filters in 3 of my 4 tanks. I think that Tetra does a really good job with them. I have a 2-10 gallon Tetra internal filter in my 29g tank. (Don't trust the "size ratio" on the box.)

You have not indicated the intended fish, and filters should always match the needs of the fish (water movement here), as the plants will do most of the actual filtration. But as these are small tanks (roughly a 10g and a 30g) the fish will be small, so in the 45 liter a single sponge filter is adequate. You could manage fine with no filter at all; I had a 10g that ran for a year with no filter, and it had plants and Boraras brigittae (11) and Corydoras pygmaeus (9). I did find the water was never crystal clear (clean water is very different from clear water, it can be perfectly clean but not crystal clear, as here) so I added a single sponge filter.

The 30g could use a dual sponge (so one air pump would serve both tanks with sponge filters), or if more internal current is needed the Aqueon Quiet Flow internal filters are very good. I had the smallest (for 10 gallons) in my 30g tank which had dwarf loaches so I wanted a bit more flow than a sponge would deliver. My 40g with Corydoras has one of these internal filters, I like them very much.

Thanks Bryon - wise words as always, and good point about the stocking! I'll look into your recommendations.

The plan is to upgrade from my Fluval Spec V (19L) to the 45L (10g). That's currently just got bloody mary shrimp - which are breeding - and 5 bamboo shrimp. And pond snails. I'd be tempted to add some more livestock if that's feasible - e.g. a school of small fish (CPDs, perhaps?). Fish and the wood shrimp is fine, but finding shrimp-safe fish is more of a challenge for breeding RCSs (though I guess there numbers need to be kept under control somewhat!). A betta would be great, but even more of a threat to the RCSs. Otos unfortunately not suited to my water.

The challenge here is that the bamboo shrimp want flow for their filter feeding, so that rules out sponge filters (as far as I understand it). There's a fair bit of driftwood in the tank, and the wood shrimps' favourite place - perhaps unsurprisingly - is to be right in front of the filter outlet, the higher the flow the better.

Stocking plans for the larger c. 120 litre / c. 30-33g are TBC. Likely to be fairly well stocked but not planted (save for some partial carpet cover and perhaps mosses), though I'm considering a floating plant to help reduce the light, help remove nitrates and help keep the fish happy.

bambooshrimpfeeding.jpg

I cannot see anything other than a single sponge filter for the 45 liter. As for the larger tank, with no plants, one of the Aqueon Quiet Flow would work well. These are basically sponge filters with a motor. There is an internal cartridge of carbon but I just don't replace it so the carbon becomes simply media for the nitrifying bacteria. I rinse these under the tap at every weekly water change. I had the largest (said to be suitable up to 40 gallons) on my former 70g for several months, it was more than adequate to move the water around which is all I needed. Here's a photo, they come in 3 or 4 sizes. The direction is adjustable, and I think the flow may be too, but more flow is not better filtration, just stronger water currents which as I said before depends upon the fish's needs. My 41 cories in the 40g with the 40g Quiet Flow filter is bang on.

Attachments

• Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Bryon. My concern with a sponge filter would be that the bamboo shrimp - as filter feeders - like to position themselves in the highest flow position: as in the pic above, they congregate (or one fights for supremacy to win the top spot!) on the driftwood right by the filter output. I'd be concerned there wouldn't be sufficient flow with a sponge filter, but I've no experience with them.

To spare the baby RCS, I have some fine filter pads by the filter inlet so they can't get in.

It may be that I get an Oase Styleline 125 as a third tank. Based on the Pimp My Filter video on youtube, it doesn't look like a great design. So I could mod it as he does in the video - though apparently it still won't deliver a full cycle (to the extent that's important/desirable...!?!). So I could move that to the 45 litre, and get a Quiet Flow for the Oase - it looks perfect for the big tank!

Thanks Bryon. My concern with a sponge filter would be that the bamboo shrimp - as filter feeders - like to position themselves in the highest flow position: as in the pic above, they congregate (or one fights for supremacy to win the top spot!) on the driftwood right by the filter output. I'd be concerned there wouldn't be sufficient flow with a sponge filter, but I've no experience with them.

To spare the baby RCS, I have some fine filter pads by the filter inlet so they can't get in.

It may be that I get an Oase Styleline 125 as a third tank. Based on the Pimp My Filter video on youtube, it doesn't look like a great design. So I could mod it as he does in the video - though apparently it still won't deliver a full cycle (to the extent that's important/desirable...!?!). So I could move that to the 45 litre, and get a Quiet Flow for the Oase - it looks perfect for the big tank!

In the small tank to provide more current (a sponge probably wouldn't do this) the smallest Aqueon Quiet Flow would do You might want to make sure the intake grill is not large enough for the baby shrimp to get pulled in, something a sponge filter prevents.

I know nothing about the Oase Styleline.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back