Interesting new colors

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Never2Bknown

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Cobras are spectacular. Feeder guppies are plain. So what happens when you cross them? I am presently finding this out as the colors are finally coming in full force on my hybrid fry. Turns out that their feeder colors are intensified to bright reds, yellows, greens, and black. One such fry has most of his body turned pitch black. The frys' tails are mainly the lacy, hot yellow patterns of cobra guppies except oftentimes with black edging or borders. They're turning out pretty stunning! I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to work the camera.

dude, im real big into guppys, and your project sounds interesting. if u can get some good pics, would u mind pm me some? this sounds really cool ;)

I agree with GuppyDude, pics would be really neat! :cool:

~JoBodude~

i bet there going to lose any kind of patern the cobras carried and all the babies will look differnt.

with show guppies the point is to get more than 1 guppie who looks exactly the same. and it taked alot of time and effort to get a strain to produce carbon copys of the original
thats why inbreading is a big proble with guppies. breeders have been useing the same stock for years trying to keep there strain produceing the same male guppie.

crosing with wild guppies gets you teh nicest metalic looking colors youll ever see for teh first generation. but afet that they start ither turning back to cobras or back to the wild looking guppie.
a plus is the guppies you are going to get will most likely be stronger and more longlived then the cobras,

get us some pics soon!

i love cobras and im working on finding some unique finshapes to breed into.
im looking for doble tails or swordtails to breed with but if i cant find any im going to keep with teh endler\ green cobra cross intill i get the lyretail that my endlers have.

also i belive anyone in these forums who is into guppie breeding shold start a club or somthing....

a club wold help us all when it comes time to cull and also it will help us network and get infor for guppies quicked than waiting for responces in live bareers.

anyone with me?

EDIT: BTW guppy dude
dude, im real big into guppys
we didnt notice you liked gupies :lol: :lol:

I pmed that suggestiong to dj not knowing that he was already planning on doing it :lol:

However Feeder guppies and fancy guppys are the same species, meerly domestic variations so its not so much hybridisation ascolor mixing, just FYI.

Good luck

i aggree, it is not hybridisation but selective
breeding to acheive a new colour morph,

i was wondering why it was in hybrids.... Nless where talking about endlers.
still even with endlers i woldnt consider this hybridizing fish since there so closely related. endlers (Poecilia sp.) guppies (Poecilia reticulata) mollies(Poecilia latipinna) so from what i have gaind the "SP" means species and for the most part unitentified witch means that teh endler guppie cross isnt yet considerd a hybird but a mollie guppie cross wold be?
am i wrong?

I pmed that suggestiong to dj not knowing that he was already planning on doing it

i just saw that.

endlers are hybridisation, they are very distinct in there behavior and extinct in the wild, you must be carefull when hybridiseing with them that you dont produce corrupt endlers that could back breed and corupt more endlers, guppies on the other hand have been super inbred so its alright to corrupt them.

I'm pretty certain that any cross-breeding of species, no matter how closely related, is considered hybridization. So a guppy X endler cross should be just as much a hybrid as a guppy X molly cross. :) However, it won't necessarily be obvious that the fry are bybrids. (as is the case with a platy X swordtail cross) Normaly sp just means species but not necessarily unidentified but more like it doesn't realy matter. Also, when reffering to a hybrid by scientific name you actualy include the name of both parent species as the 'black beauty' is called Skiffia francesae x multipunctatus so I suppose a guppy/molly hybrid is Poecillia reticulata x latipinna...

endlers were originally found in laguna de patos, as i understand, a
landlocked lagoon or lake near the coast in venezuela.  there were concerns
about their existence due to pollution of the small laguna.  however, armando
pou in florida made a collecting trip and found thriving colonies of
different types recently.  some of the fish he brought back are even more
colorful than the original collection.  as an aside, it's not clear yet if
the endlers are a separate species or just a subspecies of the guppy.  i
suppose that depends if you are a splitter or a lumper.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/p-endlers.html

on the same page proffesor endler says this...

"Endler's Poecilia" got into the Aquarium trade via Klaus Kallman of the
New York Aquarium, who got it from the late Donn Eric Rosen, the major
taxonomic expert of the Poeciliidae, to whom I gave it so that he
could name it.  Unfortunately he died before naming it.  Klaus gave it to
aquarists and added the present common name ("Endler's Livebearer" or
"Endler's Poecilia") with out telling me (as a surprise), and I first
heard about it during a visit to England in the mid-1980's.  It was quite
a surprise, but also a disappointment to see how much of the original
color pattern variation has been lost through inbreeding and founder
events.  The wild fish are not always "double swordtails", have much more
variable color patterns, and some even have black pectoral fins.  But
all have the lovely metallic green spots, though variable in size, shape,
and position.  Although highly variable, the wild fish are not quite as
variable as wild guppies, though much more so than P. picta or P. parae--the
closest relatives.  You mention their not having the "big triangular veil
tail", but wild guppies never have the veil tail either; veil tails are an
artifact of selective breeding

i just thought that was interesting... i wold love to rase a strain of wild endlers.

Hi All
i am new, to fish and Guppies, one of my friends keeps fish, and they had in the tank Guppies and Neon's, the Guppies had Babbie's (we think a hi-bread of both looking at them now) and they gave my 5 of them, i have had them for about 3 months and about 3 weeks ago one of them must of had Babbie's as there was 6 in the tank one morning. when my friend was down he thinks that all 3 of my females are pregnant as they have a black spot at there rear is this the case? so about 1 month later no babies, but this time round i have spotted that once again all the female (i think that thy are the females) have the black spot at there rear, so i took the one that has the largest spot and placed her into a birthing net, what should i do next? Could you please Post and email me a response at [email protected]

With Thanks
Stephen J

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back