Interesting Fish

Callum

Fishaholic
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
643
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Berkshire, England
Looking for some interesting fish to compliment my tank.

Tank
The Tank is 180litres and about a year old. It has a sand substrate quite a bit of cover, some rocks and loads of fake plants.

Water
The water is quite hard and alkaline (south east england Tap), ph = 7.6 GH= Hard (12ish? maybe)

Fish
My fish consist of 7 cardinal tetras, 4 albino cories, 2 bandit cories, 6 harlequins.

Ideal fish spec

Less than £15
Showpiece kind of fish (colourfull)
6 - 10cm
Confident yet not aggresive
Compatible with my current fish
Able to keep in pairs.
Not a gourami

I was thinking maybe some keyhole cichlids? maybe bolivian Rams?
 
I would have thought rams and keyholes would do nicely in that tank.
 
I was a bit worried though that the water would be too hard, as we've had some corydorus Adolfi that only lasted a matter of weeks before :(
 
I would have thought if your cardinals are ok then the others would be. As long as the pH is stable most fish will be able to cope. Theres also the fact that most fish are now mass bread in areas like Asia and eastern europe that will have adapted to their dealers tanks. Having said that a pH that suits their natural environment would be best, you could use driftwood as this looks good and also lowers the pH and softens water.
 
I had some Driftwood before and the thing was terrible, (flaking, rotting) + the tank has just been re-scaped. The Cardinals cope because they were tank bred fish like all my fish. Can you buy tank bred Keyholes / Rams? as I don't have any luck with wild fish ;(
 
You might consider kribensis. Very colorful and about the size you want. They are also very peaceful unless they set up for breeding. If they do, other fish will quickly learn to stay away from their breeding area.
 
when i started reading your post i thought imeadiatlly,bolivian ram, then that was one that you put! i would also agree with a krib.
 
Looking for some interesting fish to compliment my tank.

Tank
The Tank is 180litres and about a year old. It has a sand substrate quite a bit of cover, some rocks and loads of fake plants.

Water
The water is quite hard and alkaline (south east england Tap), ph = 7.6 GH= Hard (12ish? maybe)

Fish
My fish consist of 7 cardinal tetras, 4 albino cories, 2 bandit cories, 6 harlequins.

Ideal fish spec

Less than £15
Showpiece kind of fish (colourfull)
6 - 10cm
Confident yet not aggresive
Compatible with my current fish
Able to keep in pairs.
Not a gourami

I was thinking maybe some keyhole cichlids? maybe bolivian Rams?


Kribensis' would suit perfectly but make sure they have a cave and territory they can call there own, ideally they need a cave each as occasionally they do get fed up of each others company, also they are beautiful but only in the right light, if its not right they look grey and dull. I notice you nave harlequin rasboras, although they are reasonably hardy fish you should keep a close eye on them as i have found them to be very sensitive to PH over 7. Good luck.

Jonny
 
I was going to say "PEARL GOURAMIS" but it dosn't look like you want any. I think there awsome cause most gouramis look alike but pearls have pointier snowts and For color O my God!, He really made these fish beautiful I really can't describe but you have to see a live one. Also they get very tame and only males get a bit aggresive towards other pearls no other fish. Anyway I think I've said enough...

I was going to say "PEARL GOURAMIS" but it dosn't look like you want any. I think there awsome cause most gouramis look alike but pearls have pointier snowts and For color O my God!, He really made these fish beautiful I really can't describe but you have to see a live one. Also they get very tame and only males get a bit aggresive towards other pearls no other fish. Anyway I think I've said enough...
 
I think I'm still leaning towards keyholes, they're the most peaceful and what they lack in colour they make up for in their cool bodyshape. Just to confirm, they keyholes won't eat the cardinals will they? most places say they're fine but I came across one where they said if they get big, cardinals look like a snack.

EDIT: W00t 600th post lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top