Injured Starfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

La.La

Reaction score
The Star and the Elegance coral became acquainted...  I pulled the star away from the elegance, however I don't know that the star was in the mouth of the coral.  The elegance was inflated but it kind of looked like I just pulled the star from underneath the coral and it was being stung pretty bad, but again i'm not sure.  I removed the star from the main tank, just in case I can't find him or he tries to commit suicide again.  Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do?  I can see inside his arm :(

Also, it's the bottom right arm and this happened a couple hours ago.  It's been progressively getting worse.  

Also this happened a couple hours ago, it's progressively getting worse.

Attachments

• IMG_20130904_215402.jpg
    IMG_20130904_215402.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 194
A couple of questions...How long has the sea star been in the tank? When you removed the sea star from the main tank where did you put it.

Sea stars can overcome physical damage to their arms pretty well. As long as the central disk isn't affected.

However, they aren't able to overcome damage that is due to quick changes in water parameters, especially salinity. Their cellular structure is unique and such changes literally cause their cells to lose cohesion and the sea star disintegrates.

So depending on just what kind of damage it is will determine the likelihood of healing.

tcamos said:
A couple of questions...How long has the sea star been in the tank?  Approximately 7 months

When you removed the sea star from the main tank where did you put it. Mmm I should have explained better, I technically didn't remove him from the tank, nor did I actually take him out of the water, he is in a floating colander at the top of the main tank.

Sea stars can overcome physical damage to their arms pretty well. As long as the central disk isn't affected. It appears to just be the one arm, which the tip has completely come off now.  There may be additional (small) damage to two other arm.  It looks like just a two small spots though.  The disk appears to be fine, top and bottom.

However, they aren't able to overcome damage that is due to quick changes in water parameters, especially salinity. Their cellular structure is unique and such changes literally cause their cells to lose cohesion and the sea star disintegrates.

So depending on just what kind of damage it is will determine the likelihood of healing.

He actually appears to be doing better today, despite the damage.  Yesterday he seemed pretty "flattened" and literally all bent out of shape with his bad arm just hanging behind him as he climbed up the glass.  My biggest concern was there being more damage than I could see last night and him crawling under a rock and dying.  I attached another photo of him from this  morning and circled the other two spots, but it's definitely not nearly as bad as his one leg.  The other white spot(s) that are in the photo is just sand and there's some bubbles here and there.   I guess the question now is, should I sink him back into the tank because he seems to be moving about fine.  

Attachments

• IMG_20130905_110048.jpg
    IMG_20130905_110048.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 164
It will be better able to feed inside the display tank. It's going to need that energy to heal.

theoilartist said:
What's the update on the star?

He's doing great! I'm so happy.  The arm is completely healed and he's moving about the tank like normal.   He now has a shorter 5th arm but it gives him character, right?    
tcamos said:
It will be better able to feed inside the display tank. It's going to need that energy to heal.

I suck at getting on the computer, but I meant to say thank you awhile ago.  I put the star back into the tank after you said to and stopped freaking out and he's doing great.  So, thank you!

Very glad to hear that it's doing well. I wish it long life.

Most reactions

Back