April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chiara

Reaction score
53346807-FB09-4B05-854E-F9DA5CE9E269.jpeg
4786DAD0-F525-48E2-A35A-601096E515C5.jpeg

Hello

I have purchased a single honey gourami for my guppy tank, it’s been only few weeks since and today I noticed one of his eyes looks injured! Feel so sorry for him and don’t know what to do!

I attach here photos of the ‘weird eye’.

He is eating normally however he spends a lot of time resting on the bottom under the shade of a plant.

does it look to you a disease or an injury? Never seen anything like it before in many years of fish owning :(

Note: the eye is not ‘popping out’ it is flat, like a normal one, it just has this weird color/appearance

E036B0AA-8425-4569-8E00-C22B7D7AC327.jpeg

B575788E-66D1-4353-9448-0CB2DBDE9916.jpeg

I really wish I could do something to help him!

water parameters are normal (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, quite low nitrates), I do water changes once a week, roughly 30/40%, use water conditioner, feed twice a day (flake food in the morning, Artemia grains in the evening)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

first of all this might be a mistake, but reposting is against the rules i think.
i think its eye got scratched maybe and it wants to be in the dark

No idea if it's been double posted, it happens a lot with the first post.

It looks like an injury. Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This will dilute any disease organisms in the water and give the fish the best chance of recovering.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Hi sorry I am new to fish forums didn’t know the rules so I made the mistake of posting the thread in two separate sections, now the other thread is deleted so it’s should be all good!

I have done a massive water change with gravel vacuuming as soon as I discovered the injury and yes I use water conditioner and let the water sit for 4/6 hours before using it to help with dechlorination... will do it again thanks for the advice on this! @Colin_T

today it’s been a couple of days since I noticed the injury, the situation seems stable no improvement no worsening however I still wish I could do more for this poor guy :(

Last edited:
Eye injuries heal pretty quickly and the best thing you can do to help is keep the tank clean and make sure nobody attacks the fish. Apart from that it's a matter of wait and see how it goes.

Don't worry about the double post, it happens all the time. We just delete one and keep the other :)

Starting a new thread in different forums isn't against the rules; it's just that with only one thread all the replies are in the same place and everyone can read what everyone else has posted.
With two (or sometimes even more) threads, you get some members replying in one, and other members replying in the other. It's better if everyone posts replies in the same thread.

Eye injuries heal pretty quickly and the best thing you can do to help is keep the tank clean and make sure nobody attacks the fish. Apart from that it's a matter of wait and see how it goes.

Don't worry about the double post, it happens all the time. We just delete one and keep the other :)
Ok thank you for your advice !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back