Infusoria Under A Microscope

llamalord305

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
436
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Miami, Florida, U.S.
We had to look at infusoria (called protists) under microscopes in science class, and boy, was it interesting! There were many different kinds, some floating around, some swimming and some filter feeding. I really recommend trying this out if you have a microscope. Its fun to see what your BBS and fry are eating!
 
That sounds like fun Llamalord. I would love to examine the infusorians but a microscope to play with like that can cost a fair amount to buy and I would rather get a new tank instead.
 
Microscopes just for looking at infusoria aren't expensive at all, every now and then I get bored and use my microscope to look at random things from the tank, everything is bursting with life.
 
I would love to agree with you Three-fingers. When I was a kid, back in the stone age, I had a microscope that could examine all sorts of neat stuff. I looked into buying a cheap one a year ago and I can buy a brand new full 55 gallon tank with a hood cheaper than I can get one here. I don't know why but the prices on them in the US are through the roof.
 
I have an old microscope that's just sitting around. It's not extremely powerful, but it gets the job done. I'll send it to you if you're interested. I hate seeing it go to waste. Shipping should only be a few dollars.
 
I would love to agree with you Three-fingers. When I was a kid, back in the stone age, I had a microscope that could examine all sorts of neat stuff. I looked into buying a cheap one a year ago and I can buy a brand new full 55 gallon tank with a hood cheaper than I can get one here. I don't know why but the prices on them in the US are through the roof.
I got my microscope as a kit (with a camera holder, light, various, slides, vials, dissecting kit...and loads more) a few years ago for around £30.

£20-£30 can easily get you a microscope kit more than good enough for this sort of thing, here I can walk into any toy store or somehwere like Argos and pick one up.

Can also get them much cheaper on eBay, this may be of interest to you: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-60X-100X-Lighted...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICROSCOPE-STARTER-KIT...=item27ac32ac27

A 55gal with hood would be at least £60 here...

Give it a shot, some very cool looking things lurking in out tanks :D.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would love to agree with you Three-fingers. When I was a kid, back in the stone age, I had a microscope that could examine all sorts of neat stuff. I looked into buying a cheap one a year ago and I can buy a brand new full 55 gallon tank with a hood cheaper than I can get one here. I don't know why but the prices on them in the US are through the roof.
i just got a "pocket microscope" from radio shack for $12. they focus up to 100X and are really fun thing to have around. i was just looking at my daphnia the other day...FUN!!! :hyper:
so if you'd be interested, go to radio shack and ask if they have them. they are pretty cheap and work rather well for the price.
cheers
 
Check out my egg development thread!


http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=301938
Then!

A review of the Veho VMS-001 USB Microscope
ed9086a50a2e4debbd59b3213d7f75a4.jpg


I bought this little usb microscope from [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0[/URL] in 2008 primarily to view coral polyps and coral growth in my marine tank. Since moving back to killifish I just knew it would come in handy for assessing the hatch times of Annual Killifish amongst other applications.

Picture683.jpg


Straight out of the box it looked and felt quite a sturdy piece of kit. It comes with software CD and a concise set of instructions. Installation is a breeze, it only takes a matter of minutes and your up and running.
I purchased mine with a small custom stand as it leaves your hands free to manipulate your subject matter. A pack of microscope slides were acquired at the same time.

Picture680.jpg


On the camera body itself there is a large focusing wheel and a button for taking snapshots of your topic. It comes complete with a lens cap to keep dust and foreign bodies away from the lens when not in use.

Picture682.jpg


To take the actual pictures you can either use the button on the camera body or click the appropriate button in the software pane on your computer. You also have the facility within the software to make microscopic movies.

There are different magnification models available of this little gadget namely a 200x & a 400x. I have the 200x version but I find this more than adequate for my needs.
See pic below for what it's capable off

Elberti4-1.jpg

A developing fish embryo.

It comes with a 1.3 mega pixel lens and has 4 bright led's for illuminating dark objects, this illumination can be switched off and on as required.

This is a fantastic little piece of gadgetry and I would recommend it to any killifish enthusiast as its a cut above the old hand-held magnifier.
It retails for around £30 for the 200x and for an extra £20 or so you can have the 400x.

This is cracking bit of kit for very little outlay, I would never be without one now.
Highly recommended
See below for further technical specifications.
[URL="http://www.veho-uk.com/Techdetail.aspx?id=28"]http://www.veho-uk.com/Techdetail.aspx?id=28[/URL]

Regards
C
 

Most reactions

Back
Top