Indian Almond Leaves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alihar

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Anyone have these in their aquarium and do they appear to have the health benefits that they are claimed to have?

so, I'm still confused after the second vid... Is it the tannins released that make the difference? not the actual leaves themselves? :unsure:

The videos are pointless, just someone trying to flog their own leaves. Basically, the leaves are often used to lower the PH/recreate blackwater conditions in tanks, and the tannins and humic acid that the leaves give off are supposed to be beneficial to the type of fish that thrive in those conditions. I use them in my 200L tank, and basically, I soak them first for a few weeks to get them waterlogged so as they don't float back up, and to cut down a little bit on the tannin. Even by doing this, they sometimes can be a bit feisty, so I usually sprinkle a small handful of tank sand on top of them when I put them on the bottom to keep them down. All I know is that my apistos and plec love them

Thanks guys.
I got them on a whim for my apistos and shrimp but haven't used them yet as I was unsure on how much they would actually affect the ph of the tank.
I didn't really want them to lower ph just as somewhere for the apistos and shrimp to explore.
Do you find your ph alters much from using them?

Thanks guys.
I got them on a whim for my apistos and shrimp but haven't used them yet as I was unsure on how much they would actually affect the ph of the tank.
I didn't really want them to lower ph just as somewhere for the apistos and shrimp to explore.
Do you find your ph alters much from using them?

Well, my PH out of the tap is 7.0, and the ph in my planted tank is 6.6. I have the leaves, and bogwood as well, which can also lower the PH. But, my tank is pretty new so I have just been keeping an eye on it ( I only just finished cycling it and adding the fish about two weeks ago). I can't really comment on how much they lower PH overall, since I have had them in my tank since the beginning, and have nothing to compare it to except my current PH level.

Ok thanks Warrior I guess I'll just give them a try and monitor ph.
I read that if you stop using them you have to wean the fish of them.
Do you know this to be true?

Ok thanks Warrior I guess I'll just give them a try and monitor ph.
I read that if you stop using them you have to wean the fish of them.
Do you know this to be true?

This, I have no idea... :blink:

The only thing I can think of is that if you remove them completely, it might possibly cause the PH to rise a little bit, but I am not sure. I originally got them because I know apistos like leaf littered substrate if you are going to a natural tank environment, but I dont really know how it may or may not affect the fish if you stop using them? Maybe someone else has an idea?

I'll give them a try it's beneficial for the fish as a more natural environment.
I'll start soaking them for a few weeks as you do and research more into the weaning off side of things in the meantime.
Thanks for you help
Alison

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back