I guess I would be advanced...I've been keeping fish for 7+ years, so I don't know if that's intermediate or advanced in your opinion.

Or if time even matters...
All my tanks are currently understocked, mostly because I am having trouble finding decent fish right now. So I voted under 1", since that's where I currently am. If I had the choice of healthier fish, I would probably go slightly over the inch per gallon rule. I believe you can bend the inch per gallon rule, depending on the fish, your filtration, your water change schedule, etc.
One thing that bugs me about the inch per gallon rule, is you are basically saying you could put a 5" fish in a 5 gallon tank. Obviously that fish is not going to be too thrilled about that. I think it's a good
guideline for Beginners (Or other fish keepers) though. It shouldn't be the ONE hard and fast rule you stock your tank on, as you need to take other things in to consideration. But it's a good guideline.
Edit: Nevermind, I guess I'm intermediate.