In Styrofoam Since Thursday: Still Alive?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maurizio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Briefly, after one month from my order of some nerites, the guy has sent them while I was abroad. They are in the traveling box with heat pack since Thursday. I can collect the package at the post office tomorrow morning: is it worth, or should i rather reject the package and complain? How long could they possibly live in there?

Fish would be a no.. But Nerites?.. I don't know. I doubt it? :/ So it's been 4/5 days? Yes I highly doubt it.. Just the lack of oxygen tbh.

I've been waiting one month for this package, mailed and sms.ed the guy without answer. Since the money was not withdrawn either, I assumed if was perhaps out of the business. Then last Thursday the money was withdrawn and the package sent. He didn't answer any of my phone calls (from Brazil!). So, Thu.fri travelling, and since then stuck in a post office. I'm flying back home today...
I hate this guy.

I'd complain big time! To do it and not even inform you either is a major no no. I'd want to open the package though, I'd feel too cruel to try and send it back without opening it to see if they might be alive. If he's reputable at all, he should send you some more or at least do something about this situation.

I have had fish delayed in shipping an survive. Most recently this spring. I sent 19 0r 20 juvenile plecos via Priority mail. They were going a 4 hour drive so I only used a 60 hour heat pack. The post office misplaced the box and it arrived 8 days later. All the fish were alive when the bags were opened, but a number died in the next 48 hours. however in the end at least 2/3 recovered and now live in new homes.

It all boils down to how well fish, snails or shrimp are packed as to how long they can last. it also depends on the fish.

I would suggest you email the sender one more time. Tell them they should have known better than to ship without confirming their buyer would be there to receive the shipment, especially after all the delays. Tell them unless they respond right away that, to protect yourself, you will refuse delivery and that you expect a full refund. Further, you need to know that if you do accept delivery the seller is prepared to hear that all the contents are DOA and would have to replace them, at their own expense or issue a full refund, including shipping.

Thank you folks, I didn't dare to reject the package and leave those poor critters to certain death, so I collected it, and was rewarded: 9 out of 10 (5 Neritina and 5 Clithon) went to work (=eating!) as soon as plopped in. One is still not moving, probably dead. Will wait until tomorrow morning, then it will go out.

Will file a complaint on Trustpilot anyway.

Cheers

Maurizio

Great news for the nerites, what an idiot shipping them without contact.

Shameful :(

So glad to hear that they are for the most part ok.  I have had fish live a week or so in transit so I know it is possible. I definitely agree with you filing a complaint.  The seller should know better than to ship a live shipment without confirmation that you would be available to accept it.  

I believe the guy is probably having some kind of problem: he used to collect really good reviews on Trustpilot, but in 2013 he's going really down.

My only contact with him, more than a year ago by email, was quite good: he actually convinced me NOT to buy some snails from him, since they were too small for the fish I had, and risking therefore to end up as snacks. He actually took care to cancel my order, which I had already done through the web page. I was therefore quite confident... Things change...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back