nigsy
Fish Fanatic
- Joined
- Jun 17, 2008
- Messages
- 147
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 16
Hi all,
Today I have witnessed extreme negligence and ignorance on the part of a LFS but that's really not my question.
A friend of mine set a new tank up last week with no fish, set the filter running and left it. This was on the advice of the LFS, who also reserved 2 medium sized angel fish for the tank telling him it would be alright to put the fish in today (less than a week after setup).
I went with him today to get the fish and took a sample of the water for the shop to test.
Well he did a PH test and surprise, surprise it was 7, bound to be as there was only tap water in the tank, he then said "that's perfect, the fish should be really happy in that!!"
I asked about ammonia testing, nitrate/trite testing and apparently quote "no need for that as long as the ph is ok the fish will be fine?!"
I told my friend to walk away and not buy the fish, but not being as confrontational as me he bought them anyway.
As I have a mature tank, I have given him 1/2 the filter media from mine, and because he has a small tank and filter relative to mine, the media I gave him completely filled his filter.
2 questions:
1. Now he has a filter with a thriving bacterial colony and 2 healthy looking angel fish in the tank; are we into a fish in cycle or will the bacteria in his filter just do their job and all will be well and ready to add some more fish in around 4 weeks?
2. As I have removed 1/2 the media from my tank and replaced it with brand new, should I be worried about a little mini cycle or as my aquarium is well established with good water quality need I worry?
You can take it that the LFS in question will not be seeing any more trade from me or any of my friends again.
Today I have witnessed extreme negligence and ignorance on the part of a LFS but that's really not my question.
A friend of mine set a new tank up last week with no fish, set the filter running and left it. This was on the advice of the LFS, who also reserved 2 medium sized angel fish for the tank telling him it would be alright to put the fish in today (less than a week after setup).
I went with him today to get the fish and took a sample of the water for the shop to test.
Well he did a PH test and surprise, surprise it was 7, bound to be as there was only tap water in the tank, he then said "that's perfect, the fish should be really happy in that!!"
I asked about ammonia testing, nitrate/trite testing and apparently quote "no need for that as long as the ph is ok the fish will be fine?!"
I told my friend to walk away and not buy the fish, but not being as confrontational as me he bought them anyway.
As I have a mature tank, I have given him 1/2 the filter media from mine, and because he has a small tank and filter relative to mine, the media I gave him completely filled his filter.
2 questions:
1. Now he has a filter with a thriving bacterial colony and 2 healthy looking angel fish in the tank; are we into a fish in cycle or will the bacteria in his filter just do their job and all will be well and ready to add some more fish in around 4 weeks?
2. As I have removed 1/2 the media from my tank and replaced it with brand new, should I be worried about a little mini cycle or as my aquarium is well established with good water quality need I worry?
You can take it that the LFS in question will not be seeing any more trade from me or any of my friends again.








