I'm totally bummed!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well... for a fish like panda gara i'd go with aquahuna - i mean it is a matter of economics - $13 vs $5 a fish. So if i want 100 of them it is $1300 vs $500....

Mind you the $5 fishes are pretty small; and aquahuna has some issues - i.e, i wouldn't buy angelfishes at aquahuna but for tetra and panda - why not - and shipping is only $12 ;)
I'm not sure how to take your post that I quoted. :dunno:

You recommend yet say that you would not buy types of fish and, also, state that they have problems... Your post seems to me to be more of a reason to avoid then to use.

I also don't follow your reference as to if you wanted 100 of the critters as I just want 4. :dunno:

I truly appreciate your input but I can't follow where it makes sense in my situation.

Defnitely an advantage to pick them up locally - but i'm not going to drive 3 days to Dan's ;)

Looks like I'll be picking up later in the week such as Thursday as they are very busy next week. That would be fine but I also told them that if the following week would be better that was also fine.

I'm not sure how to take your post that I quoted. :dunno:

You recommend yet say that you would not buy types of fish and, also, state that they have problems... Your post seems to me to be more of a reason to avoid then to use.

I also don't follow your reference as to if you wanted 100 of the critters as I just want 4. :dunno:

I truly appreciate your input but I can't follow where it makes sense in my situation.
I've not had serious problems with 'standard' fishes and i would include panda as standard. The issues i do have mostly occur with cichild. THat is not to say that a few schoolers are defective or under-size but it is less an issue as each individual fish is not that unique. Also with cichild you can't select sexes. So i guess what I'm saying is a buy a bunch of schoolers with the expectation that a few will be lemons.

Having said that i've not had an issue with diseases or parasite which i consider to be a greater concern also when i have contacted them about flaws or issues their response is insta refund. The last issue i had was that a fish didn't look like the ones on the website (which was a 'serious' issue - in the sense that it was a species that has a set look); he ack the problem and refunded - i was just asking what happened and wasn't asking for a refund - he then explain why they had changed - so i was a bit disappointed with what i got but it isn't a huge issue - i'm not provided the detail on species and problem since (a) they have updated their website and (b) i dont' want to disclose this specific issue other than to say it is a species that is frequently cross bred by asian farmers to produce more off springs and that is what happened - but not a species that is typically bred at home.
-
hope that helps.

I've not had serious problems with 'standard' fishes and i would include panda as standard. The issues i do have mostly occur with cichild. THat is not to say that a few schoolers are defective or under-size but it is less an issue as each individual fish is not that unique. Also with cichild you can't select sexes. So i guess what I'm saying is a buy a bunch of schoolers with the expectation that a few will be lemons.

Having said that i've not had an issue with diseases or parasite which i consider to be a greater concern also when i have contacted them about flaws or issues their response is insta refund. The last issue i had was that a fish didn't look like the ones on the website (which was a 'serious' issue - in the sense that it was a species that has a set look); he ack the problem and refunded - i was just asking what happened and wasn't asking for a refund - he then explain why they had changed - so i was a bit disappointed with what i got but it isn't a huge issue - i'm not provided the detail on species and problem since (a) they have updated their website and (b) i dont' want to disclose this specific issue other than to say it is a species that is frequently cross bred by asian farmers to produce more off springs and that is what happened - but not a species that is typically bred at home.
-
hope that helps.
I hear what you say. :)

One of the things that REALLY bothers me today is the same common name used for different fish. For instance Petco claims to sell Panda Garra but that is not at all what they are. Another case is what the heck is an Electric Blue Acara? Is it just a more catchy common name for a blue acara or is it a different fish, hi-bred?

I miss the old days when it was more about the fish than marketing. I just think it a shame that unless a person researches they don't really know what they are getting from a store.

I hear what you say. :)

One of the things that REALLY bothers me today is the same common name used for different fish. For instance Petco claims to sell Panda Garra but that is not at all what they are. Another case is what the heck is an Electric Blue Acara? Is it just a more catchy common name for a blue acara or is it a different fish, hi-bred?

I miss the old days when it was more about the fish than marketing. I just think it a shame that unless a person researches they don't really know what they are getting from a store.
Yea I frequently have that issue with petco; common pleco are clown pleco; yoyo loaches can be either yoyo or golden; .... when I asked them about instead of correcting the name they say it is how they do business (well not in those words); and wont' correct the species name as a corporate policy....

I should end this. The new Pandas did not make it as they were just too small and became food for my cichlids and/or rope fish. I MAY try again in the future but would need a source of more mature Pandas. The ones I got were like 1/2 to 3/4 inch, just too small to survive a 7.5 inch rope and cichlids in the area of 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch.

Totally my fault as I didn't consider the size difference. The original Pandas were around the same size as the new but were the first introduced and had time to grow a bit before other fish were introduced.

I would love to get more Pandas but will not unless I can get at least partially mature at a size of 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

Why not sort an equivalent to a QT aquarium to use for new Pandas so that they can grow out safely, then introduce them to the main aquarium once they achieve a decent size and weight where they can defend themselves and get out of harms way. Just a small aquarium will be sufficient for that purpose, and it can also be useful to have after the Pandas have grown up incase of issues with any of the fish later on.

You're unlikely to find suppliers of fully grown fish that easily, so a growing out/QT type aquarium would be the easiest route to take.

Why not sort an equivalent to a QT aquarium to use for new Pandas so that they can grow out safely, then introduce them to the main aquarium once they achieve a decent size and weight where they can defend themselves and get out of harms way. Just a small aquarium will be sufficient for that purpose, and it can also be useful to have after the Pandas have grown up incase of issues with any of the fish later on.

You're unlikely to find suppliers of fully grown fish that easily, so a growing out/QT type aquarium would be the easiest route to take.
Very good suggestion as I am already considering a 5-10 gallon tank to breed scuds as a live food source for my rope and cichlids. The scuds would not be a food the pandas would aggressively seek so it could be a really good match. Ya, the Pandas would eat some scuds but would be more interested in the veggie matter that would be food for the scuds.

Thank you very much for the thought. :)

Dang! One of my problems with adding another tank is room as I live in a one bedroom apartment with a LOT of electronics taking room such as my main display wall having a 43 inch and 55 inch HDTV displays.

Still I have a 3 foot by 3 foot dinette tall bistro type table that I never use for eating. The table is VERY stout with 3 inch legs of solid cherry wood, not fake wood. It would take quite a bit of weight. I could have glass or probably plexiglass cut to build a 3 foot long tank to fit the back side of the table. I'm not going to do the math right now as to height and depth needed to make a 10-15 gallon tank but I could build this to fit the table with still leaving table space.

Shoot, I once built an 'L' shaped corner tank that probably held ~100 gallons. Don't know if I'll do it but such a small tank as I would need would be a simple project. Hey, who knows? Might even be able to find a pre made tank that would fit.

Just get a small 10 gallon, they aren't too heavy...around the weight of an average microwave...and when growing out, you don't have to have it full, 75% will do fine for the amount of time the fish will be there.

Just a 60cm x 30cm x 35cm aquarium is adequate for what you want it for, won't take up a massive amount of space.

I use my 'guest' bathroom counter for this 10:
xqq.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back