I'm totally bummed!

Oh, I'm not saying conclusively that it was chlorine. I'm just saying that it makes the most sense to me.

My Pandas never really hid either. They would disapear in a cave or some plants now and then but not for long. LOL! They are too active to hide well. ;)

I don't know that I'd consider my rope or cichlids delicate, especially the rope. Still both showed signs of stress but just not to a fatal level. Actually that is one of the things that makes me strongly suspect chlorine. Within an hour or two after dosing the tank with conditioner they were totally back to normal.
That might suggest it was something in the water i guess. Btw I'm not really in love with panda gara; i mean they did a good job cleaning the bba off my anubia but they are such aggressive eaters they annoy everyone. Luckily they stick to their area - so i just feed everyone else on the other-side of the aquarium and they never notice.

That might suggest it was something in the water i guess. Btw I'm not really in love with panda gara; i mean they did a good job cleaning the bba off my anubia but they are such aggressive eaters they annoy everyone. Luckily they stick to their area - so i just feed everyone else on the other-side of the aquarium and they never notice.
Makes me curious. How many Pandas do you have? I had 4. YES, they are aggressive eaters but I never saw an issue as to other fish especially with freeze dried Tubifex Worms and my cichlids... Rope fish doesn't really count as his main food is meal worms. Anyway, I'd press a chunk of dried worms on the glass and the Pandas, of course, would swarm to the chunk and tear it up. The cichlids would just sit back and pick off pieces that the Pandas broke loose. Actually it worked out well. Actually, after the Pandas died, it seemed like the cichlids didn't know what to do with a chunk of worms on the glass. It took a day or two before the cichlids actually realized that they could eat the worms off the glass. Of course I'm sure it depends a lot as to the food type and the other fish.

I DO like how Pandas keep algae under control! What amazes me a bit is that they will strip algae off a plant leaf without hurting the plant. I don't clean the least visible side of my tank just to allow algae and bio film to form for the beasties. I also like how 'human friendly' they are. I couldn't put my hand in the tank without at least one clamping on my hand (see image below). :) Of course it boils down to the preference of each person. I just happen to like their antics. I think they are entertaining and comical. :) This was the first time I ever had Pandas. Rope fish have always been my favorite but, since I've experienced Pandas, I'm not totally sure about that anymore. When they are available through my local source, Dan's Fish, again I'm sure that I'll get more.

Panda Garra on hand-small.jpg

Makes me curious. How many Pandas do you have? I had 4. YES, they are aggressive eaters but I never saw an issue as to other fish especially with freeze dried Tubifex Worms and my cichlids... Rope fish doesn't really count as his main food is meal worms. Anyway, I'd press a chunk of dried worms on the glass and the Pandas, of course, would swarm to the chunk and tear it up. The cichlids would just sit back and pick off pieces that the Pandas broke loose. Actually it worked out well. Actually, after the Pandas died, it seemed like the cichlids didn't know what to do with a chunk of worms on the glass. It took a day or two before the cichlids actually realized that they could eat the worms off the glass. Of course I'm sure it depends a lot as to the food type and the other fish.

I DO like how Pandas keep algae under control! What amazes me a bit is that they will strip algae off a plant leaf without hurting the plant. I don't clean the least visible side of my tank just to allow algae and bio film to form for the beasties. I also like how 'human friendly' they are. I couldn't put my hand in the tank without at least one clamping on my hand (see image below). :) Of course it boils down to the preference of each person. I just happen to like their antics. I think they are entertaining and comical. :) This was the first time I ever had Pandas. Rope fish have always been my favorite but, since I've experienced Pandas, I'm not totally sure about that anymore. When they are available through my local source, Dan's Fish, again I'm sure that I'll get more.

View attachment 310545
Yea i notice the same thing - they have no fear of people; i was wondering who their natural predator are because they seem to lack the instinct to run.

Yea i notice the same thing - they have no fear of people; i was wondering who their natural predator are because they seem to lack the instinct to run.
I wonder if, in most of their range, they have very few or no natural predators. They seem to live in seasonally fluctuating streams in the wild, which is not a habitat where one would expect to find large, piscivorous fish. But you'd think they'd still be vulnerable to birds and such. Really an interesting fish on several levels.

I wonder if, in most of their range, they have very few or no natural predators. They seem to live in seasonally fluctuating streams in the wild, which is not a habitat where one would expect to find large, piscivorous fish. But you'd think they'd still be vulnerable to birds and such. Really an interesting fish on several levels.
Just due to their fearless nature I also suspect that they don't really have an aquatic predator. I even did a quick search and came up with nothing. Birds and land critters sounds reasonable.

Looks like I'll be replacing my Pandas sooner than expected. Dan's Fish got in and processed 36 of the beasties. I'll probably pick up 4 early next week. By processed I mean that he seems to not sell until fish are proven healthy and fit. He is really big on this. He uses flow through systems and all tanks have different inlets and outlets so there can be no cross tank contamination. His water system is really quite amazing!

BTW, Seems that Dan's Fish is now shipping to Canada.

Well... for a fish like panda gara i'd go with aquahuna - i mean it is a matter of economics - $13 vs $5 a fish. So if i want 100 of them it is $1300 vs $500....

Mind you the $5 fishes are pretty small; and aquahuna has some issues - i.e, i wouldn't buy angelfishes at aquahuna but for tetra and panda - why not - and shipping is only $12 ;)

Well... for a fish like panda gara i'd go with aquahuna - i mean it is a matter of economics - $13 vs $5 a fish. So if i want 100 of them it is $1300 vs $500....

Mind you the $5 fishes are pretty small; and aquahuna has some issues - i.e, i wouldn't buy angelfishes at aquahuna but for tetra and panda - why not - and shipping is only $12 ;)
Ya, I could get cheaper if in stock but am leery about having fish shipped during winter. Dan's Fish is local for me and I just go and pick up with no shipping. Plus I have grown to totally trust Dan's. It is likely that he has had these fish for at least a month proofing health.

Ya, I could get cheaper if in stock but am leery about having fish shipped during winter. Dan's Fish is local for me and I just go and pick up with no shipping. Plus I have grown to totally trust Dan's. It is likely that he has had these fish for at least a month proofing health.
Plus, if your temperatures are anything like ours, it's going to be a month or more before anyone will ship to you anyway! Nice to have a local place. I'm envious.

Plus, if your temperatures are anything like ours, it's going to be a month or more before anyone will ship to you anyway! Nice to have a local place. I'm envious.
Hmmm, I'm not totally sure of your exact location but, if I remember right, you could drive to Dan's Fish to pick up. Even when I pick up locally the fish are still packaged for shipping as to the water bags. Since bagged as they are even a couple hour drive would not be a factor. LOL! This time of year just make sure that your car's heater works. ;)

Actually I need to get with Jonny at Dan's to see if I can watch how they bag. Jonny is the person I've mostly dealt with. Seeing the fish bags it is obvious that they are thermally sealed but they are also almost hard to the touch which has to be due to air being injected during the sealing to provide a sufficient oxygen supply during shipping. I'd just like to see the actual process. What I describe may actually be normal but I've only had one fish actually shipped that being my rope fish which arrived in a rubber band closed large bag in a styrofoam cooler for insulation. If my feeble mind can remember I'll include an image of the shipping bags that Dan's does when I get the Pandas.

Hmmm, I'm not totally sure of your exact location but, if I remember right, you could drive to Dan's Fish to pick up. Even when I pick up locally the fish are still packaged for shipping as to the water bags. Since bagged as they are even a couple hour drive would not be a factor. LOL! This time of year just make sure that your car's heater works. ;)

Actually I need to get with Jonny at Dan's to see if I can watch how they bag. Jonny is the person I've mostly dealt with. Seeing the fish bags it is obvious that they are thermally sealed but they are also almost hard to the touch which has to be due to air being injected during the sealing to provide a sufficient oxygen supply during shipping. I'd just like to see the actual process. What I describe may actually be normal but I've only had one fish actually shipped that being my rope fish which arrived in a rubber band closed large bag in a styrofoam cooler for insulation. If my feeble mind can remember I'll include an image of the shipping bags that Dan's does when I get the Pandas.
No, it's about 4.5 hour drive, when the roads are dry. More like 5 or 6 right now, I guess. Long way to drive for fish. :)

No, it's about 4.5 hour drive, when the roads are dry. More like 5 or 6 right now, I guess. Long way to drive for fish. :)
So, what's the problem? Just drive faster! ;) My bad as I thought that you were closer than that. Shipping would probably be cheaper than driving.

Just placed my order for the new Pandas and noted to Jonny that I'd want to pick up early next week.

So, what's the problem? Just drive faster! ;)
No, I don't want to come down the Bighorns the fast way. It's nice avoiding all those annoying switchbacks, but the sudden stop at the bottom is hard on the tires.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back