I'm So Confused - Cycling 5 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh, the dechlorinator is x amount for the water you are adding. If you add 2 gallons add enough for that to the 2 gallons. If you then add another 2 gallons do the same. That way all the tap water has been neutralised as you go along. Any and all water in your tank should have been through the same process.

I'm not sure liquid bacteria is any good. I used it for my last betta the first few days It seemed to keep ammonia down in the 1-2 range, but I never got any nitrates. Since I'm trying to grow ammonia, it seems counterproductive.

Question on de-clorinator: when it says 'fill this amount for X gallons', is that how much total water is in the tank, or how much new water you're putting in?

Family is telling me I should completely restart since my fish had ick. Shoud I completely re-start, or will the ick die between now & when I get my tank cycled & add new fish? Some sources say ick is always in tank & healthy fish are able to fight it off. Some say it dies in a couple weeks without fish.

At this point I've had filter/tank set up for 6-8 weeks. (1 week w/ first betta, 3 weeks trying to cycle without fish, 3 weeks w/ second betta in it). Should I replace filter? I do not have ntirates or nitrites.
(I was going to replace it but they didn't have the kind I need in stock yetserday)
Question on de-clorinator: when it says 'fill this amount for X gallons', is that how much total water is in the tank, or how much new water you're putting in?

Depends on if you you using buckets or a siphon to drain and refill the tank. Buckets = treat the bucket amount, siphon = treat the entire amount of water in the tank

Depends on if you you using buckets or a siphon to drain and refill the tank. Buckets = treat the bucket amount, siphon = treat the entire amount of water in the tank
Really? I use a siphon to remove and refill my tanks but I empty the water into buckets and treat the water in buckets. I add the conditioner to the buckets and let them sit for about 20 or so minutes then add the water to the tank I’m filling. I use the appropriate dose for the bucket size then dump any excess I use. I been doing it wrong? Lol

Really? I use a siphon to remove and refill my tanks but I empty the water into buckets and treat the water in buckets. I add the conditioner to the buckets and let them sit for about 20 or so minutes then add the water to the tank I’m filling. I use the appropriate dose for the bucket size then dump any excess I use. I been doing it wrong? Lol
No, you are doing it correctly, as you are using the "bucket" method, and merely using a siphon to fill those buckets...you aren't using the siphon to fill your tank straight from the tap

Since I'm trying to grow ammonia, it seems counterproductive.
I am confused.

Cycling is not about growing ammonia, it is about growing bacteria to eat ammonia. Adding bottled bacteria, if it works, is what you want to do.

Ammonia does not have to be 4 ppm for the cycle to start, it will start at any level. The main risk is that if there's too much ammonia the wrong species of bacteria will grow.
We usually advise to use 3 ppm ammonia for cycling as that is more than a sensibly stocked tank of fish will make in 24 hours. But for 1 betta in a 5 gallon tank, 1 ppm ammonia is more than enough.

How do you cycle a 5 gallon tank & get ammonia high enough to start getting nitrites & nitrates?
To cycle a tank, you buy a bottle of ammonia and follow this method

But for just one betta in 5 gallons use 1 ppm for the full dose and 0.33 ppm for the snack dose. Adding bottled bacteria can speed up a cycle.

It took 7 weeks for my tank to cycle.

I am confused.

Cycling is not about growing ammonia, it is about growing bacteria to eat ammonia. Adding bottled bacteria, if it works, is what you want to do.

Ammonia does not have to be 4 ppm for the cycle to start, it will start at any level. The main risk is that if there's too much ammonia the wrong species of bacteria will grow.
We usually advise to use 3 ppm ammonia for cycling as that is more than a sensibly stocked tank of fish will make in 24 hours. But for 1 betta in a 5 gallon tank, 1 ppm ammonia is more than enough.
Growing ammonia meaning increasing it from 2 😑 I had ammonia at 2 for 6 weeks & barely tested for nitrates once. I don't think 2 for ammonia is enough. I have it at 3-4 right now.

Also I don't think bottle bacteria works. I think it just slows everything down b/c it keeps ammonia & nitrtite down.

Last edited:
No, you are doing it correctly, as you are using the "bucket" method, and merely using a siphon to fill those buckets...you aren't using the siphon to fill your tank straight from the tap
Ah, it makes me uncomfortable to put tap water into my tank that isn’t immediately treated. My area has VERY high chlorine in our tap.

DragonFox,
It takes awhile to fully cycle. My aquarium took 2 months, but my friends 20g long wasn't ready until 6 weeks after initial setup. Do not add your next Betta until you read 0 Ammonia & 0 Nitrites. Be patient you'll get there!

@DragonFox91
If you are using food to create ammonia, the same applies. It does not need to be 4 ppm, the cycle will start at any level of ammonia.

In your first post you mention a 5 gallon tank. If you are intending to keep another betta in it, you only need 1 ppm to cycle the tank. A single betta in a 5 gallon tank tank will make less than 1 ppm ammonia per day so it doesn't need to be higher than that for cycling this tank.

Ah, it makes me uncomfortable to put tap water into my tank that isn’t immediately treated. My area has VERY high chlorine in our tap.
I keep my dechlor-filled syringe on my tank lids, when doing water changes, so that I can add to the tank immediately as I begin filling with the siphon/hose

Thanks all for your responses. Tested ammonia this morning & in 4-5 range. I'll keep waiting/testing & let you know when/if things start changing. :)

Ugh, question: so will ammonia in 4-5 range take a lot longer than 2-3? Should I do water change to bring it down?

Last edited:
Thanks all for your responses. Tested ammonia this morning & in 4-5 range. I'll keep waiting/testing & let you know when/if things start changing. :)

Ugh, question: so will ammonia in 4-5 range take a lot longer than 2-3? Should I do water change to bring it down?
Yes, it will take longer, and quite frankly, that's way too much ammonia to start a cycle in a 5.5G for a single betta. As @Essjay mentioned above, a starting point of 1 PPM is fine in this case.

How much ammonia is risking stalling the cycle? I know reccomendation is no more than 3, but right now I'm testing closer to 4-5.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back