I'm scare of deep sea fishes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm more worried about crocodiles in shallow water than anything from the deep blue yonder.

Sorry guys - every time I get the opportunity I go to visit ocean fishes in their own enviroment. Respect that it is their environment and all will be well. The one thing that really annoys me is caged shark dives where the organisers fail to respect that and antogonise the sharks so their customers can get better pictures or videos. If you want to dive with the sharks do so (and I have done so hundreds of times) but respect that you are in their home.

Last time I was out (last month) I was lucky enough to come across a group of 40ish barracuda contemplating a school of several thousand sargeant majors. Each of these was a truly maginificent sight in its own right.

I thought of this later. In the summer of 1969 when I was 13 years old my family took a trip to Seattle Washington to visit relatives. At that time they had Namu the Killer Whale in a huge outdoor pool at a public aquarium. I think Namu was the first Killer Whale ever kept in captivity . There was a stairwell down to a place where there were aquariums full of Puget Sound Fish to see and back in a corner was a big dark window. I thought it was an aquarium and I had my face pressed right against it to see what was in there. Just at that moment Namu swam by and his great big eye looked at me. It wasn't an aquarium it was a viewing port into the whale enclosure. I stepped back and opened my mouth to scream but no sound came out. I was shaking for the rest of the day.

I thought it was an aquarium and I had my face pressed right against it to see what was in there. Just at that moment Namu swam by and his great big eye looked at me. It wasn't an aquarium it was a viewing port into the whale enclosure. I stepped back and opened my mouth to scream but no sound came out. I was shaking for the rest of the day.
I had the opposite reaction the first time I saw a dolphin/ whale in captivity. "OH WOW, THAT IS COOL". I couldn't get enough if it and had to be carried away. Mind you, I have always had a fascination about things that live in water, starting with tadpoles we used to collect from the park in winter, to crabs and fish in rock pools, and aquariums were just the bees knees. When I was a little kid my neighbour had a fish tank in her living room and she would babysit us sometimes. I would spend hours watching the fish.

Many of the residence on the inland where my grandparents lived had commercial fishing or lobster boats that I was able to go out on. You never knew what would get caught in the traps or nets. The lobster traps were scary because sometimes you had to reach in and grab the lobsters or crabs. Some of the crabs were really large. Most crabs you threw back into the ocean. I would wear an old set of tennis shoes when I went swimming just in case I stepped on a crab or lobster which I did several times. At low tide there were pools of water with lobster, fish and crabs in them. These were one to three feet deep with very clear water. It was fun to watch the wildlife like having an every changing aquarium. There was clam beds where I got to go clamming and a saltwater peat bog on the other side of the island that at low tide had all sorts of wild life and pools too. There was also a oyster bed that ran from the island to a small uninhabited island. It was mostly a rocky shore line except for the bog and clam bed. The only down side was I was the only kid on the island except for a girl who was several years younger. :)

Last edited:
Many of the residence on the inland where my grandparents lived had commercial fishing or lobster boats that I was able to go out on. You never knew what would get caught in the traps or nets. The lobster traps were scary because sometimes you had to reach in and grab the lobsters or crabs. Some of the crabs were really large. Most crabs you threw back into the ocean. I would wear an old set of tennis shoes when I went swimming just in case I stepped on a crab or lobster which I did several times. At low tide there were pools of water with lobster, fish and crabs in them. These were a one to three feet deep with very clear water. It was fun to watch the wildlife like having an every changing aquarium. There was clam beds where I got to go clamming and a saltwater peat bog on the other side of the island that at low tide had all sorts of wild life and pools too. There was also a oyster bed that ran from the island to a small uninhabited island. It was mostly a rocky shore line except for the bog and clam bed. The only down side was I was the only kid on the island except for a girl who was several years younger. :)
The island seems pretty for me

I think they are cool. There are some that are dangerous but if you respect that it's their home and leave them be you will most likely be perfectly safe. There are so many fascinating creatures out there. Theres and insect that can create a mini explosion to fend off predators (forgot the name) creatures that create their own light, the smallest bacteria is incredibly complex. We have to appreciate the world we have been given. It is truly amazing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back