I'm Really Sad - Lost My Synspilum Yesterday. Wondering What To Do

ishuddabinafish

New Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Monmouthshire
I had Ruby (a him - cichlasoma synspilum/firehead) only because I rescued him 5 yrs ago and he would have been at leat 10yrs old by now probably more. Made him happy, got him some friends and had a slight problem in the tank last week.<sigh> :(

Anyway things went from bad to worse when I discovered ammonia in the tank which I had never had before and it didn't seem like much so I did a large water change and tested again. Anyway the long and short of it is Ruby didn't make it and now there is a void in my tank.

I'm wondering whether to give it all up or to wait a bit a see if I can find another "character" fish. What I liked about Ruby was that he was so interested in me. Apart from the striking appearance, his size and beautiful colouring, he was very sociable. I'm calling him "he" now but we always said "she" hence the name "Ruby" as I was hoping he was a she and I can't think of her as a him really.

Can anyone suggest what I might consider and where I might get something not too pricey please? Don't wanna be a total saddo with a sob story but been unable to work due to illness for over a year so gotta be thrifty. I have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft setup. I am open to clearing my tank and starting again from scratch but would prefer not to have to change substrate and decor which is gravel, bogwood and artificial plants.

Thanks fish-loving friends...
 
Sorry to hear of your loss, C. synspilum are such a beautiful species and I can imagine that he/she was quite a character. Please dont give up even though it seems like you've lost a lifelong friend. Its sometimes easier to pick up large cichlids cheaper if you join a society such as the BCA
http://www.britishcichlid.com/
or go along to you nearest Aquarist society or club
ATB
BigC
 
Go for another Sociable Personable fish, such as a Texas or a Red Devil or Midas
 
Sorry to hear of your loss, C. synspilum are such a beautiful species and I can imagine that he/she was quite a character. Please dont give up even though it seems like you've lost a lifelong friend. Its sometimes easier to pick up large cichlids cheaper if you join a society such as the BCA
[URL="http://www.britishcichlid.com/"]http://www.britishcichlid.com/[/URL]
or go along to you nearest Aquarist society or club
ATB
BigC


Oh thanks BigC. I feel a bit stupid for feeling so sad but thanks for understanding. I'll have a look at the BCA. I don't know if I will fancy getting another synspilum...not sure.
 
You may want to look at a freshwater puffer, excellent characters
Regards
C
 
That sucks, but at least you know he had a good long life.
My 9" white and orange parrot fish died last month, was 1 of my favourites.
Can vouch for herichthys carpinte (sp), bocourti, and pearsei.All great characters.
Flowerhorns also seem very inquisitive?
 
That sucks, but at least you know he had a good long life.
My 9" white and orange parrot fish died last month, was 1 of my favourites.
Can vouch for herichthys carpinte (sp), bocourti, and pearsei.All great characters.
Flowerhorns also seem very inquisitive?


Thanks Mr Cheese. Will have a look at these.

Do you really think 10 yrs was good? Wouldn't a good long life be more like 20-25yrs?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top