I’m really liking my Denison Barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well... chastised again... go figure... you could have said... nice video, by the way, did you know...
My response was for others, not you, hence the 'if anyone is thinking of getting them...'
I assumed you do know, as you have the fish, you would have researched them.

For every view that you get there will be ten more unregistered readers looking at this thread (which remains here forever). Perhaps they are less invested in the hobby than those of us who do register. So it is important that the information is complete and balanced for those transient readers who may not dig deep.

... & all the fish available of this species right now are bred in captivity ( I know, because I did research them )...

Go buy Glofish, or those golden Denison's... as sorry as I am, I don't think we could put together enough group support, if the fish was something so cool, that everyone wanted one, but they were not able to breed in captivity...

sorry, I'm off again...

... & all the fish available of this species right now are bred in captivity ( I know, because I did research them )...

From Practical Fishkeeping March 2023 Newsletter:
Research has suggested that the aquarium trade is contributing to the decline of Puntius denisonii populations and that the fish is now becoming threatened as a result. Practical Fishkeeping advises fishkeepers to avoid wild-caught specimens of this species.

Go buy Glofish, or those golden Denison's... as sorry as I am, I don't think we could put together enough group support, if the fish was something so cool, that everyone wanted one, but they were not able to breed in captivity...
I don't understand this, nor what it is referencing?

At this point I am not quite sure I understand succinctly what the disagreement is.
It is simply about how many of a single species of fish is best for long term health in an aquarium environment?

Yeah, I think maybe we should all take a big, deep breath. :)

Magnum, thanks for sharing the vid--your dennies are very pretty and look healthy. I wish you had more of them. Sounds like you wish the same thing and a bigger tank is on your radar. Good. I kept both dennies and tinfoils in a 55g and they outgrew it very quickly. I definitely wouldn't do it again unless I had a definite plan to rehome them.

I would urge everyone to share your opinions and info. Some will take your advice and some won't. If someone chooses not to take your advice, that's their choice. Stick around and enjoy their fish anyway, or move on.

We’ll if you need to ban me… that would be the 1st time I’ve ever been banned… but the dealer I bought these from recommended groups of 3 or larger… I bought 3, as recommended, and even though mine are doing great ( I actually think a pair would have been fine ) but I’ve been nothing but chastised… after posting the video, seems like because I bought the fish in the first place??? After being beaten up so much, I won’t mention Denison’s again, if I don’t get banned

Mods may as well delete this thread, so no one else will buy Denison Barbs captive bred or wild caught… I know my influence surely runs that deep…

Last edited:
Peace love and the fish below came to me as imports. I believe at the time they were wild caught.
The current name for this species is Sahyadria denisonii:

REDLINE1.jpg

Peace love and the fish below came to me as imports. I believe at the time they were wild caught.
The current name for this species is Sahyadria denisonii:

View attachment 326219

That sir, is how Dennison barbs should be kept. Large numbers in a planted tank. Absolute stunning fish if kept in a species only tank. After all, with their activity levels and display of colour, who needs any other fish with them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back