Im New

Ah, no fun, me too! At least it's Friday!

At the moment I would check the water daily and then change enough water to get my ammonia and nitrite to 0. Sometimes at first this is like 90% but you'll just have to use trial and error for the first couple changes to work out the amount you need to do. You can do as many water changes a day as you need to without hurting the fish as long as you dechlorinate the water first and roughly match the temperature of the water that you are adding back in to the water in the tank (a couple of degrees difference doesn't matter). Eventually (although it can take a couple of weeks) you'll test the water a couple of days in a row and the results will be 0 (except for nitrate, they will never be 0). Then you know that your bacteria are fully developed and you can relax a little! From this point on you can do weekly water changes to maintain the quality of the water in your tank.

I'm probably repeating everything you read about fish-in cycling in the beginners section but once you understand the way the nitrite cycle works it all becomes common sense :)

Once your bacteria have developed this is how it works:
Fish > produce ammonia > ammonia eating bacteria turn the ammonia into nitrite > nitrite eating bacteria turn the nitrite into nitrate > water changes remove the nitrate (which is only harmful at a very high level)

But at the moment you've not got the bacteria to remove the harmful ammonia and nitrite which is why you've got to remove it via water changes until the bacteria can catch up

Think im understand it :)

Also ive been told to get the water ready and treated 2 - 3 days before adding this way it will be room temperture and should have got rid of the cholrine

Naaa you only need to do that if you don't add some sort of tapsafe/dechlorinator to the water. The dechlorinator works pretty much instantly, so there's no need to have buckets of water sitting around for days :) I used to do this too when I had goldfish so that the temperature was matched to the room but turns out it's not really needed!

Oh ok. I wont bother doing that nomore maybe just leave it a few hours to let it get to room temp.

You can also just mix a little warm water from the tap in to take the chill off :)

Just done a test with the kit and i got the following readings

PH - 7.6
High Range PH - 8
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 0PPM
Nitire - 0PPM

Do these sound ok?

Ammonia should be 0 really but not too bad! Check daily for a while and if things start creeping up, you know what to do!

Ph is just fine
good.gif

Yep, if your ammonia or nitrite go above 0 do a water change, bigger is better because there's nothing more annoying than doing a water change, testing your water afterwards and seeing that they are still above 0, trust me on that one!

Ive done another water change today just need to test it. im going to do in a bit

Ok ill do a 20L water change today that will be a 3rd of the water changed that way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back