I'm Jumping In!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Stish said:
Have any of you ever done a brackish refugium/sump tank?  I recently received a nice little 10 gallon aquarium for free.  I am thinking about turning it into a sump tank, or I may just do a little nano FW or SW setup, haven't really decided yet.

I don't have the space but the extra volume can only be good.  I'd worry about doing a DIY but only because of my DIY skills

iliveinazoo said:

Have any of you ever done a brackish refugium/sump tank?  I recently received a nice little 10 gallon aquarium for free.  I am thinking about turning it into a sump tank, or I may just do a little nano FW or SW setup, haven't really decided yet.

I don't have the space but the extra volume can only be good.  I'd worry about doing a DIY but only because of my DIY skills

OK thanks.  I have decided that I am not going to do the sump tank.  I have some other ideas that I am working on.  I have been having some issues getting my ammonia in check while cycling the aquarium.  But it finally seems to be dropping off.... down to .25ppm yesterday from almost 4ppm last friday.  Nitrites are still 0 and nitrates are at about 20ppm.  So once that ammonia is clear I'll finally be able to add some stuff to the aqaurium.  Im hoping to atleast have the aqua scaping(minus the plants) finished by Monday, I will post a pic of the aquarium once I am done with that so you all can see my progress.

Also a big thanks to everyone on this forum, this is the only forum I have found that I can get any help with my brackish questions.

So how much light is too much for the plants?  I just put up my 48" T8 with 2 6500k bulbs in it and it looks super bright.

Is there a too much for plants?? Archers surely like it dimmed: mines are way more comfortable with the lights off..

A sump/refugium with mangroves is a classic in reef aquariua, from what I read: mangroves become really useful as nutrient exporters only in huge amount, and some people grow thyem in sumps: but then you'll need good lights in there.

I have a few java ferns in there right now.  I will be adding more in the next week.  I think I am just going to maybe get some smaller LED's to put some lower light in there since I will not need the big lights on all of the time.

On a side not my aquarium finally finished cycling!!  My LFS does not have any archers in stock right now so I picked up a few mollies to throw in there and keep the cycle going until I can get a hold of some archers.

Most reactions

Back