Im Horrible At Starting Seedlings Indoors

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettasforever!

Reaction score
I have some leggy white indoor seedlings they are zinnia, lavender, hot pepper, basil, and mammoth basil seedlings. They are in a burpee seed starting kit with 25 cells and i water them every two or three days with a spray bottle. They are in my laundry room and they dont get enough light. I know I am watering them too often but its because I feel like they arent getting enough water with a spray bottle, as if only the surface is getting moist. There is almost no other place I can put them because they dont fit on the windowsill. They are very leggy and white and some of the seedlings have even bent over and snapped because they grew to about three inches in 4 days. But some of the very short lavender seedlings are already growing sideways. I cant see them just shrinking back to normal size. Should i just scrap them and start over? They used to have white fuzz on them too I dont know if it was mold or water crystals, is this what is causing this to happen?How often should I water the new indoor ones if i do decide to scrap them?
Also I have two basil seedlings outdoor in the sun and they are normal size with about two small leaves and two tiny leaves in the middle waiting to grow. They're in plastic cups in the sun and theyre growing green mold on the sides under the surface. I water them when I see that the surface is getting dry. Will this mold kill them?

Also if i grow new seedlings indoors I will grow them separately in plastic cups with drainage holes so they will fit on the windowsill.
Do they even need to be started indoors? I find it much easier if they are started outside.

Starting seeds indoors is more for getting a jumpstart on the growing season.
Being white as seedlings is normal. As to bending over or breaking, lack of wind to strengthen the stems.
The white crystals are salts and other minerals. Ideally, water frim the bottom, and allow the water to wick up and the roots to grow down.
The green mold is likely moss or algae.

If you're in southern California, I don't know why you'd need to start them indoors at all.

Thats what I was thinking. Thank you so much everybody :)

Its just really hard to find credible information on websites other than forums like this one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back